Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Virus SW

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Unomi

Unomi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

I'm using McAfee, but subscription is about to expire and I'm not satisfied with it. Ask around at different computer stores and services and you get differing opinions on which software is the best. Don't want to use Norton, but will ask what are some other good AV products that I should consider?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

Take a look at our very own quietman7's recommendations here: Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jziggyp

jziggyp

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

I can only say I have tried a few ,,,,,AVG free, Norton security ,Comodo products , BitDefender , Microsoft security Essential, CA internet security..... Not a single on of them has prevented me from getting infected with something..... I am using Norton until it expires....Then I may use Kaspersky,,, I have heard good things about them... Of course I am open to suggestions myself....

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

Expecting one product to completely protect you is unrealistic. Different security products have different definitions and it's a constantly moving target. That's why a lot of us use real time protection supplemented by on demand scanners. Also, you shouldn't assume that a paid product is automatically better than a free product because it's not true.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

If you decide to PURCHASE a product, do this first.

Go to the product website. See if there is a free trial of the product. Install the free trial. This will allow you to evaluate it first. Is it user friendly? Does it play nice with your system?

A possible bonus: if you had to enter an email address in order to get the trial download, you may get an email offering a discount on product purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users