Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows defender dialog bugging me!!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

I know that if you have antivirus installed that Windows Defender should be disabled to keep from interfering, but i don't think it's taking the hint. Lately, every time i logon to my computer, i get this popup:

Posted Image

I don't know why, but something keeps trying to open windows Defender. There are no entries in the Startup folder of my Start Menu, and a search of the registry only brings up one result, a CLASS ID, followed by Shell/Open/ and then the MSASCui.exe program. But i didn't delete it cause god only knows what will happen. The only things i've done are some slight customizations (i.e. changing the Start Orb). Is there any reason for this to happen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

Windows Defender is anti spyware, not anti virus. You don't need to disable it. You should reactivate it.

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

Ok. What if the Anti-virus suite includes anti-spyware?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

Windows Defender should still not cause any conflicts.

However if you still wish to disable the only way I have found\read is to shut it off at the service level.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

Windows Defender (msascui.exe) is listed in System Information with a -hide flag so it does not appear in msconfig which would allow disabling it from startup. However, some free third-party Startup Managers may show the entry so that you can disable it from there:
If not, then manaully Disable the Service for Defender:
  • Click on Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools and double-click on the Services option.
  • When prompted by User Access Control, click the Continue button. If you are not prompted, you have either disabled UAC or are logged in with an account that does not have the ability to run with administrative privileges.
  • In the Services applet, scroll down the list and find the Defender Service.
  • When a service is running, it will be listed as Started in the status column. If the Status column next to a service is blank, that means the service is not running.
  • Double-click on it to open the Properties page.
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Disable".
  • Click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows.

CAUTION: The next step involves making changes in the Windows registry. Always Create a New Restore Point and back up your registry before making any changes[/i]. Vista/Windows 7 users can refer to these instructions. If you're not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable. ERUNT is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Press the WINKEY + R keys on your keyboard or click Posted Image > Run..., and in the Open dialog box, type: regedit
  • Click OK or press Enter.
  • Navigate to this Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • In the right pane, delete Value "Windows Defender"
  • Then navigate to this Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • And if present in the right pane, delete Value "Windows Defender"
Instructions with screenshots for using Registry Editor
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts