Windows Defender (msascui.exe) is listed in System Information
with a -hide
flag so it does not appear in msconfig which would allow disabling it from startup. However, some free third-party Startup Managers
may show the entry so that you can disable it from there:
If not, then manaully Disable the Service
- Click on Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools and double-click on the Services option.
- When prompted by User Access Control, click the Continue button. If you are not prompted, you have either disabled UAC or are logged in with an account that does not have the ability to run with administrative privileges.
- In the Services applet, scroll down the list and find the Defender Service.
- When a service is running, it will be listed as Started in the status column. If the Status column next to a service is blank, that means the service is not running.
- Double-click on it to open the Properties page.
- In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
- From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Disable".
- Click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows.
The next step involves making changes in the Windows registry
. Always Create a New Restore Point
and back up your registry before making any changes[/i]
users can refer to these instructions
. If you're not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable
is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.
Press the WINKEY + R
keys on your keyboard or click
, and in the Open dialog box, type: regedit
Instructions with screenshots for using Registry Editor
- Click OK or press Enter.
- Navigate to this Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
- In the right pane, delete Value "Windows Defender"
- Then navigate to this Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
- And if present in the right pane, delete Value "Windows Defender"