Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen problem and output problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

When I turn my pc on it shows an all white screen for a minute then it changes to several different color when Windows boots up (I hear the Windows "boot up sound" I plug a S video cable into it and it displays weird with lines going up and down. It was completely unuseable. What do u think the issue is?

Now its pure white with a few grey lines and not outputting anything through S video

Edited by rolltide101, 24 February 2011 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:33 AM

Hi,
can you boot in safe mode with networking?? if so will you download http://www.piriform.com/speccy to give us a bit more insight to your machine. I believe this to be a failing video card or corrupt driver, so the more info you give us about the machine the better/ quicker response to your issue.

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 Sector17

Sector17

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:46 AM

Agree with Iain.

If it DOES boot to safe mode, it could be a corrupt video driver.

If you can't even get into safe mode, try a different video adapter. Are you using built-in-video? If so get a video adapter card to install and try. If already using a card, pull it and re-seat it good, try again. if still the same problem, pull it and try build-in video (as a test) or a known good card instead.

Of course swapping cables and monitors are good tests too.

#4 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:02 AM

I cant even see the bios as soon as its turned on the screen is white. Its either a screen problem or a video card problem. I was just trying 2 see which it was. I tried 2 get to the video card but I couldn't for anything figure out how to open it. Its a HP dv2945se.

Edited by rolltide101, 26 February 2011 - 03:04 AM.

#5 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:03 AM

My guess is video card since the output & the actual laptop screen isnt working correctly. Im taking it 2 a shop soon.

#6 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

My guess is video card since the output & the actual laptop screen isnt working correctly. Im taking it 2 a shop soon.

Hi,
now you have established that we are dealing with a laptop!!! do you have an external monitor that can be used with a vga cable?? if you have see if there is any display.
If there is no change and this is an old machine>(just guessing here)< I would defenitly NOT be putting this into a repair shop, on board video cards are a NIGHTMARE to fix in laptops and can prove to be very expensive. I would strip the machine of it's harddrive/ram and sell it for spares or repair on ebay or some other auction site, and re-invest in another machine.This will work out a lot cheaper than putting it into a repair shop, as you may not know how long the replacement will work.
Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users