Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phil_cayla

phil_cayla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

OK here I go,
I am not very computer savvy but I do know enough to keep 4 of us going. My 9 yr old has a Dell Inspirion mini 10 and had 2 Hard drives put in so far. I know this is usually users fault which I am also working on. LOL
When I turn it on
I have to press F1
Then SMART failure Predicted on Hard Disk 2: WDC WD1600BEVT-75ZCT2-(S1)
Press F1 again.
Then sometimes it will go through the Windows XP and start to log on and I can surf for a bit. Then I get the BSOD.........
The BSOD says that there is a KERNEL_STACK_UPLOAD_ERROR. W/ no address to follow to try and find a virus.
I have researched all these issues and they all come back to Hard drive issues. What do I do?
I have 2 of these in my home. can i take the HD out of the other ona and pop it in and see if that was the problem of could the virus hurt the other HD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

Getting a SMART warning predicting a failure means your hard drive is beginning to degrade in such a way that the drive failure is going to happen it is only a matter of time. You will need to replace the problem hard drive as soon as possible. In the mean time I would suggest that you back up you data if you have not already since there is no telling how long the drive will last.

While I cannot say with a 1000% certainty that you do not have a virus I see nothing here to suggest anything other than a failing hard drive.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 phil_cayla

phil_cayla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for responding!!! I hope that if I buy the Hard Drive the computer will go back to its beginning state. I don't back it up b/c its my kids Dell nickelodeon mini 10 Laptop. He don't have anything worth saving. LOL Thanks again!!!

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

One thing I would suggest would be to buy a solid state drive because they are much more durable and it should last longer with abuse such as movement and shocks which is what is most likely what killed the other drives.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

I agree with computerxpds. Even thought the solid state costs a little more it is cheaper than replacing a standard drive every few years.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

Whats the chances that this drive might still be under warranty?
Its a Western Digital. They typically carry a minimum of a year warranty and sometimes three years.
Check the warranty status with the serial number here.

I have never had a problem with Western Digital replacing a drive if it is under warranty.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users