Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

any chance it isn't the motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

At work I inherited a computer that I was told needed a new PSU, however once I purchased a replacement I found that the computer still wouldn't start, and some tests showed up that I acted on incorrect information and the original PSU did in fact work.

Most of what I'm finding seems to imply that the next step from here is to declare the Motherboard dead, is there anything I might be missing? I really don't want to make a second unnecessary purchase.

We have checked the outlets in question, we have checked the power switch on the computer, by connecting the right pins we have gotten fans to turn on, harddrive to spin, etc.

Acer Veriton M265
MFG Date 2009/06/16

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

Take all the components out and assemble them on a rubber mat or cardboard box and power it on. If it works then there is a short. If it doesn't then I think the motherboard is shot.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:26 PM

When you say it won't start, exactly what happens when you press the power button?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

....and speaking of power buttons, they do malfunction at times. Before you get too involved, pull off the connector from the mobo power header and short the pins momentarily and see if the PSU kicks on.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

When you say it won't start, exactly what happens when you press the power button?

Absolutely nothing happens when we press the power button.

#6 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

....and speaking of power buttons, they do malfunction at times. Before you get too involved, pull off the connector from the mobo power header and short the pins momentarily and see if the PSU kicks on.

We did check the power switch with a multimeter, and we have shorted the pins on the connector and gotten all the fans to spin.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

Take it down to bare bones.
Remove all cards if any and the memory.
Disconnect all IDE or SATA cables.
Disconnect all power leads except those to the motherboard and leave a power lead connected to the cdrom to put a load on it. Try it then.

The system should beep complaining that there is no memory in it.
If it doesnt I would expect motherboard.

Cryptodan has a good idea as well. Take it out of the case.
Once I had a system that would not turn on. It ended up being that the motherboard screws were down too tight causing it to short out. Drove me nuts trying to figure that one out!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just really trying not to spend our limited funds without making sure!

#9 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

System still does nothing with memory removed and taken out from chassis. Looks like I get to shop for a replacement.

Tnx

#10 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your help. Computer is back up and functioning!

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

What was the cause of the issue?

#12 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter