Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My wife's computer...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gabrielman

gabrielman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hey there all!!! Haven't been here in a while, but now the time comes again where I may need your help once more. My wife tried to start up her computer today and it wouldn't do anything other than go to the windows loading screen and then just keep loading forever, for over 15 minutes. So I had her shut it down and run a start up repair, and that seems to have done the trick to get it to work, but I am not sure if there is anything wrong I should look for in the system files. Such as corrupted files and what have you. So is there anything I should do or look for to make sure the files in windows are running fine (I mean like the core OS files essential for operation.). And if so, how do I go about looking for it?

On a hardware related question, her computer while booting up made a high pitched noise... like when a car drives past you with a tire that is low on air.... um... you know what I am talking about, right? LOL I don't know how to better describe it. It wasn't very loud, but that is what it sounded like. I want to make sure it is not the hard disk or any other problem that may lose all of her data. We can't do back up disks right now because her computer can't read disks anymore... (the disk drive is broken -_-) and we don't really have the money to go and buy a disk drive that plugs in via usb, or at least not right now. So I was wondering what you would suggest.

Anyway, I have said enough, I know you may need some specifics like the model, and some numbers, and the OS is Vista Premium 32 bit, if that means anything to ya. Thanks for your help, and God Bless!

Edited by gabrielman, 24 February 2011 - 01:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

I would first do a chkdsk on the computer.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

Also use ccleaner every day.

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

1) ccleaner doesn't help anything

2) Running checkdks won't hurt, but if I were you I wouldn't worry about a one time problem. Anyway, here's how to run checkdisk properly: Right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

3) You MUST fine a way to back up critical data. At some point your system WILL fail and you will need to access that data and won't be able to. Even better than replacing the optical drive (which you should do regardless) is getting an external drive. You can get a good one for well under $100 and I assure you, it's worth it in the long run.

Edited by Allan, 24 February 2011 - 03:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users