Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast 6 Free or..

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Avast 6 Free or... (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you recommend Avast 6 Free instead all of the above mentioned?

1. Avast 6 Free w/ Sandboxing (4 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. MS Security Essentials, MalwareByte Full, Firefox - for clients (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. MS Security Essentials, MalwareByte Full, Firefox w/ NoScript - for me (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mados123

mados123

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hey guys. I am interested in your opinion as to whether or not I should move to Avast 6 Free. It looks great, being comprehensive and supposedly lightweight. Currently I use MS Security Essentials, MalwareBytes Full (w/real-time protection), and Firefox w/NoScript. My computer has been running great without crap issues or viruses but just trying to minimize the memory footprint while maintaining protection. Also seeing if Avast would be a more simple setup for my clients rather than them using MSSE & MalwareBytes Full. All opinions welcome!

Edited by mados123, 24 February 2011 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Avast 6 is still in Beta, no? I'd wait till the "dust" settles before making any move, if ANY. IMO what you have now is SOLID--If it ain't broke don't fix it.

BTW, I use Avast 5 free, Mbam Free.....EVERYTHING free. I'll NEVER be forced to pay for something I can get free, and I can donate whatever I CHOOSE TO to the software creator.

I'm funny that way LOL

Edited by Union_Thug, 24 February 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#3 mados123

mados123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

Avast 6 Free, final release just came out and it would be prudent to have others work out the kinks. You are correct about, if it is broke... I might consider it for my client's computers later on, who have kids (or adult males!) going to "questionable" websites and IM a lot.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

It`s really a matter of personal preference.

I prefer Avast. It gives the choice of a Custom install which allows it to be tailored to your\your Clients needs. Eliminating unnecessary features\shields as they are called in Avast 5.X will decrease the load on a system.

MSE, while well rated. Is a pretty much set and forget type AV.

Thanks for the heads up on Avast 6 Mados123. Am off to give it a look now.

I shall return....unless it breaks something. :whistle:

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

You're right I just checked thru my GUI --6.0.1000 was released. I always wait a week or two before I update.

Thanks for posting.

#6 mados123

mados123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Avast 6 Mados123. Am off to give it a look now.

Cheers for the find. If you install it, please let me know the amount of memory it uses for your setup (and whether all modules are installed or not).

Thanks!

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

I just installed it as an upgrade to 5.5.
The installation went quickly. Not even 5 minutes.
Then it prompted for a reboot.

It looks a little different but not much.
Havent scanned a system with it yet.
One of the things I didnt like about Avast was the scans seemed to take a long time.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

Just did it as an upgrade on my bench machine. Not a hitch.

I only run the e mail, Internet shield, and real time on that PC.

Will be doing it shortly on my primary tower. Plan on doing it as a clean install. Will let you know then.

It comes with script protection enabled by default. I usually disable it as have had some hic-ups in the past due to it. May serve to confuse the average User.
The free version also comes with a "sandboxie" type feature. Avast simply calls it a sandbox. Am looking forward to playing with it a bit.

Will post later on Peak Memory Usage. I`m sure it will vary from machine to machine depending on overall process running etc.

#9 mados123

mados123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Excellent and thank you with the details. I look forward to your update!

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

Did an uninstall through Add\remove. Followed by using the Avast uninstall utility run in safe mode as directed. < Probably unnecessary.

When doing a clean custom install was given the option of the Script shield (which was not offered when done as an upgrade) as well as the others. Chose pretty much the same options as on my bench PC.
File System Shield
Mail Shield < I use a PC based e mail client. If one only use`s web based mail then it is probably not necessary.
Web Shield < Side note; There is also a Network Shield which is similar. But monitors different ports. If being installed on a PC which is not on a LAN then the Network Shield is probably not needed. I am on a self controlled LAN so I chose not to install it.

Regardless of the amount of Shields installed Avast still only shows two instances in Task Manager. AvastUI.exe and AvastSvc.exe.

All shields are attached\run under the AvastSvc.
With the PC just rebooted the UI.exe showed Mem Usage at 4,044K and Peak Mem Usage at 17,096K.
Svc. showed about 1,000K+\- and fluctuates according to PC usage, but settles right back down to around 1,100K. Peak being 45,800K.

Still need to play with the Sandbox feature. It seem`s to only alert to new\suspicious programs. Default action is to "ask". It also offers a feature to exclude files\folders from it.

#11 mados123

mados123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

Very interesting numbers. Mine are the following with the setup I mentioned before and after using it throughout the day:

Process: Private/Peak
mbamgui.exe: 1,500k/12,225k
mbamservice.exe: 30,500k/148,800k

msseces.exe: 680k/15,600k
MsMpEng.exe: 52,000k/333,600k

The Sandbox feature looks great but I wonder about its implementation, how restrictive it is & is it too much of a nuisance, leading people to disable it.

Anyways, I look forward to hearing about your long-term experience!

Edited by mados123, 24 February 2011 - 06:19 PM.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

I'm gonna test v 6 on a newly burned nLited XP SP3 CD installed on VMWare with Win 7 Home Premium SP1 as Host. Not sure what I'll be able to report cuz my "skills" are limited to that of an average user. Also, the VM will be limited to 1gb RAM.

Here goes nothing....:busy:

Edited by Union_Thug, 25 February 2011 - 12:01 AM.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

Updated to ver 6 last night. It was done in a few minutes.
No issues whatsoever.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#14 Sector17

Sector17

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:28 AM

who have kids (or adult males!) going to "questionable" websites

Sorry, but as a IT Pro, I have to admit this made me LOL. It's only funny cuz' it's true!

#15 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:12 AM

who have kids (or adult males!) going to "questionable" websites

Sorry, but as a IT Pro, I have to admit this made me LOL. It's only funny cuz' it's true!

>>>>Blushes profusely<<<<

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users