Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't reinstall Vista on supposedly formatted drive, various errors

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Amerithe

Amerithe

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

So essentially I'm trying to reformat and reinstall Windows Vista, specifically Home Premium(I'm not sure of any other specifics), and keep running into various error messages while installing. I'm not even sure what's left on the drive that could cause as error, but they're coming from somewhere.

Basically, I had Vista running fine, AVG did an update and then nothing worked anymore. Couldn't get into Safe Mode, even. It'd go through the list, hit this one AVG program, and give up. I found a fix, it worked, and I attempted to uninstall AVG. Apparently that fix actually made AVG unable to remember how to uninstall itself, so in a fit I searched up all the labelled files and deleted.

Yeah, apparently that was a terrible plan. Then back to the boot issues. Couldn't start normally, couldn't start Safe Mode or any variation thereof. Safe Mode would try, get to crcdisk.sys and then back to the restarting everything. So I figure, after attempting to get Vista to straighten the whole mess out, as many help posts advised, that nothing on that laptop is important that I haven't already backed up on another source, so I'll reformat, rip out the whole tangled mess of apparently broken files, and start fresh.

So much for that plan, now every time I go to install I get some error or other. Sometimes there's not even a message about what the problem was. I got the 'driver irql not less or equal' a few times, and checked my memory, turns out one stick wasn't seated properly, but I don't know if that error is gone or just waiting it's turn in the rotation of incomprehensible messages about how nothing works right.

Some of the other messages include things like 'a driver corrupted pool memory used for holding pages destined for disk', and the simple 'Memory Management'. There are others, but nothing I remember at this moment, and a lot of those error codes I can't make heads or tails of. I have a LITTLE knowledge of computers, but this is WAY out of my depth. I'm just hoping I don't have to replace any parts, at this point, but if that'll fix this...

Now here's the important part, unless you can tell me how to download and install a program without being able to even get Windows running, advice about 'download this and run it' won't help me much. I've seen lots of threads from people with this problem or that problem, similar to mine but never all of them together, and never without being able to at LEAST get into Safe Mode. I can't do anything right now, really, I still can't install Windows. I'm wondering if I didn't format the drive enough, because I can't figure out where these issues would be coming from.

I finally just now got into BIOS and found some sort of memory test, and ran that. It passed, now I'm trying to run the hard disk test. It passed the quick test, but either it's stuck or the comprehensive test is having a heck of a time getting past 20%. At least the screen's still moving..

So, any advice? Any questions? If you want information, you may need to include instructions on how I can find it, because I'm terrible at things like this. The internet is my strong suit, not this.

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Are you using recovery/restore disks?

Exactly what steps are you taking...in your problematical install efforts?

Louis

#3 Amerithe

Amerithe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

HP Pavilion dv2700
Not that I know of.
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but I've been turning it on, telling it to boot from the disk, selecting install, and selecting the only partition listed. Sorry if that's not what you mean, I really don't know what's going on.

#4 Amerithe

Amerithe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

I've attempted the hard disk scan three times now, and each time it hits 20% on the comprehensive scan and won't manage to get to 40%. I think it's only moving in increments of 20, so maybe it's just taking forever, but if the estimated time for the whole scan is 84 minutes, how long should I wait before it's probably stuck? It passes the quick test each time, fairly quickly, and gets to 20% no problem, right away, so I don't really know what's going on. The little arrows keep moving, so it's not completely stuck.. Any input?

#5 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

Hello,
You say you cannot get Windows running or even get into safe mode, then you go on to say: your wondering if you didn't format the drive enough, I apologise if this is not what you mean, but you can't try to boot from a hard drive that you have formated! there is no operating system left on it, you will need an original Vista operating system cd to run in your cd drive, you do not make it clear if you have an o/s disk.

#6 Amerithe

Amerithe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, it wouldn't boot at all before I got the Vista disk out that my friend gave me, and now I can't install Windows back onto that drive. I've seen quite a few posts from people who couldn't get anything running who were told to download a program and run it, which is fairly useless advice when the computer won't start up, unless you mean download it and put it on a disk or something, to bring it over to the computer that's down. And as to the functionality of the disk, it's the disk I used when I bought and installed this hard drive, and that install seemed to be fine since last April or so when I did that. My last hard drive failed to survive a terrible fall, so I had to get a new one. I could probably pull up details if it'd be pertinent, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

Also, that hard disk scan finally completed, passed the quick test, the comprehensive test, and the S.M.A.R.T. test. Gonna go back to trying to install, and will add error messages as I get them.

Just got MEMORY_MANAGEMENT again, restarted, this install provoked no message near the top, but lists "STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000001D, 0x8C80808F, 0x89508ACC, 0x00000000)" and on the next line, "afd.sys - Address 8C80808F base at 8C807000, DateStamp 00000000"

Edited by Amerithe, 24 February 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#7 Amerithe

Amerithe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Driver irql not less or equal message is back, twice in a row.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

Is there a reference to a specific file on the Blue Screen? The generic bsod you are reporting can be caused by anything from bad or conflicting drivers to ram issues to a malware, bios that needs to be updated, etc.

And the fact that you can't finish a scan of your hd is not encouraging either.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

<<And as to the functionality of the disk, it's the disk I used when I bought and installed this hard drive, and that install seemed to be fine since last April or so when I did that.>>

Insert the disk...delete any existing partitions...proceed with the install.

Alternative: Remove disk and attach as secondary to another system...delete existing partitions...move back to current system, install.

Louis

#10 Amerithe

Amerithe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

I did manage to finally get the hard drive scan to complete, I was just being impatient. So far I've only been 'formatting' the drive through the windows install screen, and my friend pointed out that only 230-some gigs list as space on a 250gb hard drive, so he thinks it's just that a windows reformat is in fact a whiny cheap excuse for a reformat, and that's part of the issue. Unfortunately, due to weirdly arranged options and certain options missing during the first screen where I can tell it to boot from disk or whathaveyou(I don't know the name for that screen), the way he knows to reformat isn't accessible. As it is, I don't have the stuff to hook this drive to another system, but the friend who helped me install this drive probably does, seeing as he figured out what was wrong with the last one by taking it out and attaching it to something else. I'm trying to get ahold of him now, I'll add more when I get a response, or some results.

Edit: Also, I tried removing and resetting the partition via the windows disk's options, but it didn't seem to make a difference. It probably makes no difference, but better to mention it and have it not matter.

Edited by Amerithe, 24 February 2011 - 07:06 PM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:55 AM

formatting is formatting - doesn't matter from where you start the process.

#12 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

While your still working on your hard drive problem, you say that only 230G of free space is listed on a 250G hard drive, this is because hard drive manufacturers quote drive capacity in powers of 1000, while file systems quote capacity in powers of 1024, so, available free space always appears less than advertised capacity. So, it does not mean that there are still files on your drive after formatting.

#13 Amerithe

Amerithe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

While your still working on your hard drive problem, you say that only 230G of free space is listed on a 250G hard drive, this is because hard drive manufacturers quote drive capacity in powers of 1000, while file systems quote capacity in powers of 1024, so, available free space always appears less than advertised capacity. So, it does not mean that there are still files on your drive after formatting.

Ah, ok, didn't know that. Thank you. Anyways, I tried downloading a program from Western Digital, who made the hard drive, to write zeros to the drive, but it didn't work, apparently there's some sort of issue with it thinking it's on a floppy drive instead of a cd. I downloaded another program, something called the Ultimate Boot Disc, I think, which I used to write zeros to the drive. I tried again to install Vista, no success, but this time it's only the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT issue. I saw other people whose issues with it stemmed from mixing memory, but I only have the two sticks that came with it, although I took one out once to inspect it, and had to reseat it recently because it got bumped out of place, apparently. I downloaded and burned a disc with MemTest, and booted from it, but I can't make heads or tails from the screen. I could take a picture and post it, if you can't tell me what I might want to look for. It says "Unexpected Interrupt - Halting" but I dunno what that means.

#14 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

That memory stick you say you re-seated, take it out and run Memtest again!

#15 Amerithe

Amerithe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

That memory stick you say you re-seated, take it out and run Memtest again!

Just did that, because what the heck, but it only changed the stats. Still the Unexpected Interrupt issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users