Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new trojan virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Golfertom

Golfertom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

Hello, there is some new virus that is going around that is effecting my email. It keeps sending blank emails to everyone on my contact list. I've tryed scanning using McAfee, but it isnt decting it and i need to get rid of it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do or a site i cn go to with some software that will eliminate this problem?

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2011 - 11:18 AM.
Moved from Introductions to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fred3

fred3

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

It keeps sending blank emails to everyone on my contact list.

How do you know that it's sending those emails from your computer? Maybe your contact list was copied and those mails originate from some other place/computer. Seems at least one reasonable hypothesis.

Take a look at the source information behind some of those emails.
Getting the information can be just a little bit tricky but goes something like this:

Contact someone who received one of those emails. Better still if you received one yourself.
Now, they can't just "forward" the message to you for this purpose as important information won't be forwarded.
So, on the computer where it was received, open the email.
Next you want to use whatever tool is provided in the email client program and open the message source - which shows all lthe underlying text within the message.
There, one can see where the message originated and where it went from server to server. If the information matches an email that you've sent to yourself, then maybe the emails *are* coming from your computer.
But, particularly if the origination is from a different server, the emails aren't likely coming from your computer.

If that's the case then one imagines that you can save time an trouble running down something that isn't there. Doesn't mean there aren't still problems with your computer - as in was the list captured and is the culprit still in there?

Edited by fred3, 24 February 2011 - 11:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users