Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SonicWall DNS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tim_M

Tim_M

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

SonicWall TZ 200 does not pass DNS information to computers on the network.

I recently installed SonicWall TZ 200. Our network has both Windows 7 Pro and Windows XP Pro client machines. I have tried specifying the addresses of the DNS servers directly and letting the TZ 200 pick them up from the cable connection but in neither case are any of the clients able to use the default gateway to access the internet.

When the SonicWall diagnostic is run the device itself can use the ISP's nameservers to resolve any address that I try. Computers on the network are just not able to ask the TZ 200 for DNS information.

Any thoughts on why the TZ 200 is not supplying DNS services? All of the machines can access Internet sites just fine if I manually program the DNS settings but I do not want to do that because the machines get moved around frequently.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

It is probably a feature, because it is highly recommended that your computer have your DNS IP's within the network configuration area.

Can you post a screenshot of the SonicWall Status page that shows IP information. You can blur out the middle 2 octets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users