Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pepsi + Computer = FAIL

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

Hey y'all!

My girlfriend's cousin spilled pepsi on his desktop computer. Not sure how he managed to do that but I told him I'd take a look at it to see if it could be saved. I was wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem and what the outcome was... where you able to fix it? If no, what prevented fixing the computer.

I was thinking maybe taking some silicon spray to loosen up any sticky pepsi gunk on hardware and using an air duster to blow it into a paper towel.

Sound good?
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

I would recommend soaking the components in Rubbing Alcohol then blowing it out with a can of air.

#3 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

Firstly unplug it from the electrical outlet if you haven't already done so. You'll be best off doing as cryptodan said and dry off all the wet components with a towel getting the excess, and one at a time going through with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel or a handkerchief. The idea is when you're done you have gotten up any dried on sticky syrup (reason for the rubbing alcohol) from the soda and completely cleaned all the circuit boards parts. Also you want to be very careful when you're soaking up the "sludge" that you don't put any pressure on the components or get in a hurry and cause more damage. This is triage, you need to be decisive and deliberate. And you don't want to leave behind any bits of cotton / paper they may cause problems or overheating later in the computer's life.

I would go slow, one component at a time. Start with the graphics card/hard drive and once they're clean and dry place them off to the side and work your way towards the motherboard. Depending on the extent of the spill you may need to remove it from the case completely in order to clean the back side.

I had a similar issue but with a camera a few years ago. I was coming back from a party in college and ended up marinating my camera in a plastic bag for an hour in the back of my car with an open bottle of Cheerwine soda. Needless to say I was concerned that I had lost the camera. But with some cleaning and drying I was able to get it back to working order.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:10 PM

I`m with Cryptodan.

For drying I would go with compressed air and allowing to stand overnight. Alcohol does evaporate pretty quickly.

My .02 Do not use a cloth or anything else that could snag a part on any circuit board. Mobo, pci cards, etc. One oops :whistle: and an otherwise well done job could render the component in need a soldering job or useless when just allowing normal air dry time would have avoided it.

#5 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

Thanks guys. I have not even looked at this thing yet. He texted me this morning practically in tears (yes, the textual emotions were powerful enough to convey tears and utter greif). I was going to use silicon spray but rubbing alcohol you say? I will give it a go. I wouldn't think that a little pepsi would be able to completely render this thing unsalvageable.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Soda Pop contains acid's which can eat slowly away at electrical components. Soda can reek havok on keyboards.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Carbonated drinks are very acidic. The longer you wait the more potential for corrosive damage.

It will really depend on what type of conductive paths were created by the liquid. If something was shorted out it may be basically unfixable. :rip:

Will keep our fingers crossed.

#8 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

I can't believe this thread has gone this far without anyone mentioning the China Syndrome! :wink:

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

If it had happened to a Super Computer at NORAD then I`d be worried. :huh:

#10 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Wait...he spilled Pepsi INSIDE his computer? I think he's using his computer wrong.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

Maybe he was using his cdrom drive as a Pepsi can holder and it broke causing it to spill inside the system.

You havent mentioned whether you have popped the case and looked inside yet or if you have tried to turn it on at all.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

Do`t think I would try turning it on\applying power till, at the least, an inspection was made of the inside to see just how much the spill covered.

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

I agree. I just thought it was odd that this had not been mentioned.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

It's pretty much toasted. He managed to get it pretty good. I'm gonna salvage these fans though! Hehe... I've got more fans than Justin Bieber! ROFL!!! XD
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users