Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't format WD Raptor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mel-L

Mel-L

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

Hi, I recently got a WD Raptor 36GB Sata drive, when I try to format it Windows XP says can't complete format. Under properties the file system says RAW. Windows is seeing the drive as 68GB!
Any help is greatly appreciated.,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

What file system are you referring to?

Did you complete the format?

Are there existing partitions on the drive? If so, delete them, try try formatting.

If you still have problems...run the appropriate diagnostic on the drive.

Louis

#3 Mel-L

Mel-L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

What file system are you referring to?

Did you complete the format?

Are there existing partitions on the drive? If so, delete them, try try formatting.

If you still have problems...run the appropriate diagnostic on the drive.

Louis

Hi Louis, As stated Windows says can not complete format. I can not read the drive as Windows says it has not been formatted - I'm tryig to format in NTFS.

Mel

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

Are you doing this from within disk management? And is that the exact message ("cannot complete format")?
Am I correct in assuming this is an internal drive? Download the WD diagnostic utility from their website, burn it to cd, boot to it and check the new drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users