Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No audio, HP6630

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 geh

geh

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

HELP,

To any and all I need help, I know besides that. I got a real deal on a H/P 6630 with a good size hard drive and memory, but that's about the best part. I work on old computers as a hobby and this one is really driving me nuts. It was in a Dell case, but its a H/P for sure, boots up with a H/P screen at POST. Its got a Trigem Cognac motherboard, the factory info on that board show:

AC97 controller, Intel FW820801AB
audio Codec Cirrus CS4299-JQ
And that's what in it.

When I got it the unit was really messed up could not tell what sound drivers it had, I was extremely slow booting up, so I wiped the hard drive and proceeded to format and reinstall Win98se. I needed the video driver to update the graphics which it got though H/P's
web, but they don't list a audio driver for it, just an update, and that didn't work. I've been around the web trying to find the driver for either the audio codec or the AC97 controller. Sites like driver-download show some that I tryed, but when I try to open them it says expected a later version of Win??? What I down loaded was supposed to be for WIN98, whats the deal. I tried the AC97
software from Realtek and that didn't work either. Went Cirrus web site got the driver for the CS4299 and that didn't work either.
I've been to so many to try and get the audio up, some sites have the correct down load info, but the download doesn't have the
exe. that should be there along with the read me files and digital signatures. So either I'm really got a case of the stupids, or there is some wrong with the mother board. With all the junk I have my next step is find a PCI snd card and say the heck with the on board audio.
So about the long post, any help would be appreciated, oh yea please don't ask me why I'm still using Win98, with the older systems it still is a work horse. THANKS!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Well if you've Googled for these have you tried Realtek AC97 Driver for Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 A4.06?

When you searched did you add Windows 98? :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

Well if you've Googled for these have you tried Realtek AC97 Driver for Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 A4.06?

When you searched did you add Windows 98? :wink:

Keith,
Actually I was just trolling thought the Win98 forum and found a reference to that exact link, I think from you to another member.
I plan to try it this evening after work, will let you know. Thanks for the response. :thumbup2:

Greg

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

One other thought.

Should you continue to get the "expected later vers of Win". I would run Windows updates.

Has been some time since doing a 98 PC but it may be looking for 98SE. Which, if I`m not mistaken, will get pushed out to you through Windows updates. If IE 5.5, I think it is, is already installed.

Seems I had to jump through some hoops on a pre SE machine. Had to d\l IE and commit it to a CD for future use in these situations.

#5 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

One other thought.

Should you continue to get the "expected later vers of Win". I would run Windows updates.

Has been some time since doing a 98 PC but it may be looking for 98SE. Which, if I`m not mistaken, will get pushed out to you through Windows updates. If IE 5.5, I think it is, is already installed.

Seems I had to jump through some hoops on a pre SE machine. Had to d\l IE and commit it to a CD for future use in these situations.

I'm up-to-date as possible for the Win98se, I use F/F for the web and even at that I have I/E 6.0 sp1, so its as good as M/S will get it. Thanks again I think the earlier posting from Keith will probably be the answer. Thanks for your input!! :thumbup2:
Greg

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

Was worth a shot. Good luck and keep us posted. :wink:

#7 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

To All,
Sorry to say that I still have no audio! I got the Realtek AC97 driver as was recommended and ran it and heard a slight pop in my
speakers and thought great I'm there! Not so fast, still have no audio. The realtek says that some of the features require at least Direct X version 8 or better for SOME of the functions to work, I wonder if I need to get this?
I looked around and tried the Cirrus CS4299-JQ driver also and still no go. So with all the crap that's been in and out of this, I decided to wipe, nuke the hdd, reformat and start with a fresh install of Win98se. Used the H/P down loaded files for the Intel chip set for graphics and had to call it a night.
The multi-media shows no playback device installed, yet the device manager shows no issues with the audio. As a note I also went over the bios and I could not find any mention of audio enable or disable, unless I'm missing some hidden feature on the bios.
So as of now its a clean hdd, re-installed Win98se, Intel drivers for the chip set. I'm going to try the Realtek again, this week end and see where that gets me. I know that this may seem a waste, but I'm just BUGGED!!!! I've brought a lot of old dogs back and this one is just got one big flea that's got me. Thanks for your help! :deadhorse:
Greg

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

This is a wild shot but certainly something worth checking.

Click start then run & type sysedit & hit enter
Go to the system.ini file
Make sure that the line
drivers=mmsystem.dll
is present in the [Boot] section.
If it is not there add it and reboot.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

This is a wild shot but certainly something worth checking.

Click start then run & type sysedit & hit enter
Go to the system.ini file
Make sure that the line
drivers=mmsystem.dll
is present in the [Boot] section.
If it is not there add it and reboot.

EyeSee,
Great idea if it ain't there in the beginning then it won't be there latter either...Thanks!! I'll see what happens! :busy:
Greg

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

I hope thats it!

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Go into Device Manager, right-click on My Computer and select Properties at the bottom then select Devive Manager. Look at the Sound, video section are the any exclamation marks showing? If it does then select the item and press delete and ok to the prompt then press F5 to refresh and see if it finds it again. Thats just in case the drivers didn't get recognised. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#12 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

Go into Device Manager, right-click on My Computer and select Properties at the bottom then select Devive Manager. Look at the Sound, video section are the any exclamation marks showing? If it does then select the item and press delete and ok to the prompt then press F5 to refresh and see if it finds it again. Thats just in case the drivers didn't get recognised. :wink:

Keith,
That's one of the problems, shows no "yellow" !!! on them, but I'll give it a shot, thanks! :deadhorse:
Greg

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

Have you had a chance to check the system.ini file yet?

#14 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

Have you had a chance to check the system.ini file yet?

Eyesee,
Sorry I'm at work won't be till either this evening or the weekend til I get to it. I'll keep you
posted, thanks again!!! :thumbup2:
Greg

#15 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

Guys,
One thing I did see that I question is, I have a copy of the "factory" info on the mother board and
is show jumpers for "audio function (AMR) Primary Down" then has enable & disable settings. Could this
possibly be the issue??? The info says the default is "enable", since this thing is a H/P in a Dell case
hard telling what else someone might have done?? Hey I grasping a straws, I know that sometimes we "techies"
try to make that mountain real big before we get to the simple things.....oh yea just re-boot the darn thing!
:huh: Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users