Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer backup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 opearl

opearl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:26 AM

How to backup my computer to an image using an external hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sector17

Sector17

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:53 AM

Check out Clonezilla.org for a good free and open source solution.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

Use disk imaging software. The two best such apps are Acronis True Image (not free) and Macrium Reflect (free).

#4 Sector17

Sector17

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:39 AM

:thumbup2: Thanks for the heads up on Macrium Reflect, I have never heard of that one before. I'll be checking it out and comparing it to Clonezilla.

#5 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

Here's some great tutorials for Macrium Reflect for the more experienced members and quests.
http://www.macrium.com/tutorial.asp
Here's a feature I love.
http://www.macrium.com/KB/KnowledgebaseArticle50061.aspx :clapping:
I want to add that I'm not affiliated in any way with Macrium Reflect; I just like their program.

#6 FayB

FayB

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

I have an old XP machine that I kept as backup. I just recently found out about imaging sofrware. I decided I wanted to give it a try. I tried Macrium Reflect Free. I thought it was y easy to use and war able to pretty much just wing it. I didn't need to do anything fancy. I had it create the linus boot cd. It worked great - restored with no probem. I wish I had know about it a few years ago before I had my 2 hard drive crashes and had to re-install everything. ughh. Don't know how it compares with others - but it did what I wanted to to do.

Fay

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

Maacrium is fine for most users. But no backup software is going to do any good if you don't use it on a regular basis. What I do is image my system partition to a second hd every week and keep the 2 or 3 most current images, deleting the older ones.

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2011 - 07:05 PM.
Typo :).

#8 FayB

FayB

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

Alan,

I agree with you but I am not good at doing that. It is not such an important issue on my xp computer - since it is mainly for backup and trying things on. If something happens, just want to be able to get it into pretty good working order without a lot of trouble. Probalby will not be installing too many things on it that I need.

My main computer is win 7 and I do need to start creating images on it more regualry. I do backups of data files more frequently, but if I don't get in some kind of routine for the imaging - I'll foget it till it is too late.

Fay

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

:) Okay - as long as you understand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users