Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC SHUTS DOWN WHEN I PLUG INTO MY USB PORT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SuesAcct

SuesAcct

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

Hello gang,
First off, I'm sorry if this has been posted somewhere else on this forum, I really dont like the search engine, cant seem to get it to search for me.

Anyways, here is my problem.

This just started, because I've never had this problem before.

When I go to plug my mp3 player into my usb port, my PC immediately shuts down, and I have to unplug it for the PC to start back up again.

I checked my hardware settings to see if there were any "yellow exclamation marks" stating there is a conflict, but there isn't any.

I use winxp home ed.

Thanks for your help

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2011 - 07:40 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:44 AM

Do you have multiple usb ports? Does this happen on all of them? Sounds like it might be a dead short.

Does the mp3 player load ok on a different computer?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

Ditto. Do other components plugged into that USB port cause the same problem? Does the MP3 player cause problems on other systems?

Do you have a lot of other devices plugged into your USB ports. Possible you might be pulling more than the max allowable current through the ports.

Device Manager > USB ROOT HUB , click the "Power" tab and it will list the power draws on that port.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 SuesAcct

SuesAcct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Well, I have several ports, but none of them are used at the moment. I usually just plug it into the same port each time on the front of my PC and it charges, but now it just reboots the PC until I unplug it. Not sure if its a driver issue or something else. There are no other devices plugged into that port, I think the only USB port on the back of the PC that is used is for my mouse, and that works just fine. I have two USB ports on the front of my PC. Before I shut down tonight, I will try and plug it into the second port, I thought I did that, but now I'm not sure if I did or not. If its still the same problem, I'll let you all know. and THANK YOU for your help!!

To be continued.............. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users