Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP reboots continuously

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JGVT

JGVT

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

At this point my PC is continuously rebooting just when the Windows XP screen appears. I canít boot to safe mode in any fashion or any mode. This started after I re-installed the OS. Prior to this re-installation my PC started to behave erratically. Repeated error messages for my anti-virus software, extremely slow processing of other programs, and other out of the norm issues. So after trying to correct this unsuccessfully via updating my anti-virus, spyware, adware, and so on, I did a fresh re-install of my OS. As mentioned previously. However, that didnít seem to solve any of the problems, so I tried to refresh the BIOS. Still the same issues. So I used Active Kill Disk to wipe the HD to zeros and did another fresh install of the OS. This time my OS just keeps rebooting (restarting) shortly after the splash screen, just when the Windows XP logo appears.

Iíve tried a few things to correct the lasted problem but nothing has worked. I tried booting from the installation disc and doing a ® repair to the system. First, CHKDSK, BOOTCFG, FIXBOOT, and FIXMBR. Second, a system32 fix with the kernel32.dll. And now Iím not sure.
Any assistance in solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

Time to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, I would think.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#3 JGVT

JGVT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

Louis,

Thanks for the tip. I passed the PC along to a tech company contracted by the company I work for. They suspect a HD issue as well. I was hoping it would be something less invasive. At least I have all my data backed up on an external.

Cheers!

James

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for posting back...let us know what the ultimate result/outcome is :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users