Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Others Can No Longer Ping My Exernal IP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brodie1600

brodie1600

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

I never used to have this problem before, and I'm not entirely sure what caused it... it might've been the fact that my internal IP switched when I put up a password on our router, but I seem to have everything set up accordingly...

The deal is, is that I host a private gaming server from my computer. I edit the hosts file in my [Windows --> system32 --> drivers --> etc] folder, and add this to the file:

127.0.0.1 logon-tcs.dyndns.org
<<Internal IP>> logon-tcs.dyndns.org
<<External IP>> logon-tcs.dyndns.org

Then I route the hostname to my external ip via dyndns.com.

With these done, others should be able to ping my external IP, which is 71.201.242.190. The users I regularly have aren't able to connect to my game server anymore, because they're unable to ping my external IP, or the hostname I have them use (which is routed to my external IP).

I've had them try pinging the hostname, and the external IP itself, but to no avail.

If anyone knows of any possible solution, please share.

Thanks!

Edited by brodie1600, 23 February 2011 - 06:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

do you have a fixed IP from the ISP
check your IP here http://www.whatsmyip.org/ - most ISP assign a different ISP each time you log into the service
ETAF

#3 brodie1600

brodie1600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

Problem is being handled on TechSupportGuy.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

Ok then.... If they cannot help you to correct the issue please come back here.
Good luck hope you get it fixed. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

Should they get the problem solved would you be so kind as to post the solution here so we can learn from your experience. Thanks in advance :thumbup2:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 brodie1600

brodie1600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:11 AM

Well this is what's going on now:

Is that permitted by your ISP? If not, your ISP may have simply decided to block that usage instead of terminating your service.

For example, Comcast Acceptable Use Policy for Residential service includes this Technical restriction:

I hate to believe it, but this may be the case... It just seems really random that it would happen all of a sudden without any warning.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do inside the router settings in order to bypass this. I don't exactly know how Comcast was able to do this (if this is in fact the case).

First, as Terry net said check your external IP. www.whatismyip.com and make sure that is the IP you have registered on the dydns systems. Second, when hosting a game server they every often connect on a different port than the standard open ports, plus you are natting This means one of three things,
1) You local computer has a different IP address than before. If that is the case than the port forwarding you have on your router is not pointed correctly any more. You need port forwarding when you nat.
2)the port is now closed on the router, or on you local computer. Check you firewalls (both router and computer)
3) your ISP has blocked the traffic.

I have listed these in order of what I think they are.

I have verified that my external IP is the same and has not changed.
I have forwarded every single port necessary to forward when hosting the server.
I checked both firewalls.

I'm using a Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router WRT160Nv3. We had to purchase a modem because this router isn't a combo.

I never changed any configurations with the router besides the port forwarding, so I have no clue where I would be able to change whether or not the router can reply to pings.

Basically, I think it could be Comcast blocking the connection, but I'm not entirely sure.

I changed my internal IP from 103 to 102, and I'm still waiting on my friend to see if they can connect with everything reconfigured to that internal IP.

And, in order for users to connect to my server which is being hosted from my external IP (which is routed to a hostname), they'd have to be able to establish a connection (ping) my IP.

I'm just a little lost on what to try next =P

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:04 AM

I will check with my professor next week to see if I can come up with a solution or an answer as to what Comcast may be doing to block the server. There are allot of changes most ISP are going through because of the new laws governing Peer to Peer file sharing. Some have implemented and are now enforcing strict guidelines on how their Public IP addresses are shared and licensed. Your TOS (Terms Of Service Agreement) strictly forbids you from operating the Game server I am afraid we are unable to continue and would not be able to provide the information to bypass any restriction they have in place.
  • use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the Premises that provide network
    content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises local area network ("Premises
    LAN"), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited
    equipment and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy
    services and servers;
  • use or run programs from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to
    anyone outside of your Premises LAN, except for personal and non-commercial residential use;
  • service, alter, modify, or tamper with the Comcast Equipment or Service or permit any other
    person to do the same who is not authorized by Comcast;
I will check with a Moderator if this topic needs to be addressed. If the topic is in violation of forum rules and I have not misread your TOS the topic will be closed.Otherwise it will be remain open for further discussion.

Edit: Should the topic be deemed a violation it will be closed. The original wording in my paragraph was wrong and has since been changed 2/27/2001 7:06 AM

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 February 2011 - 07:07 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:01 AM

Just to point out, that you are not support to edit the hosts file to reflect Domain Name Information that is a huge mistake. The hosts file is only for local area networks only and does not perform any other functions.

#9 brodie1600

brodie1600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

I will check with my professor next week to see if I can come up with a solution or an answer as to what Comcast may be doing to block the server. There are allot of changes most ISP are going through because of the new laws governing Peer to Peer file sharing. Some have implemented and are now enforcing strict guidelines on how their Public IP addresses are shared and licensed. Your TOS (Terms Of Service Agreement) strictly forbids you from operating the Game server I am afraid we are unable to continue and would not be able to provide the information to bypass any restriction they have in place.

• use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the Premises that provide network
    content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises local area network ("Premises
    LAN"), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited
    equipment and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy
    services and servers;
  • use or run programs from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to
    anyone outside of your Premises LAN, except for personal and non-commercial residential use;
  • service, alter, modify, or tamper with the Comcast Equipment or Service or permit any other
    person to do the same who is not authorized by Comcast;
I will check with a Moderator if this topic needs to be addressed. If the topic is in violation of forum rules and I have not misread your TOS the topic will be closed.Otherwise it will be remain open for further discussion.

Edit: Should the topic be deemed a violation it will be closed. The original wording in my paragraph was wrong and has since been changed 2/27/2001 7:06 AM

Okay, thank you very much for the feedback!

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

Can you do another http://www.whatismyip.com and post the results here. Ping can be disabled on your router, and is no indication that traffic or your activity is being blocked.

#11 brodie1600

brodie1600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:22 AM

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

Check your router settings and remove your hosts entries as they should not be there and see if you have issues. You are blocking ICMP not Comcast.

#13 brodie1600

brodie1600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

Posted Image

And there lied the problem (was checked, now unchecked - others able to ping me now).

Thank you so much everyone for all the help!

~brodie1600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users