Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Manipulate "Open With" Menu

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TitanFan

TitanFan

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

How can I manipulate the "Open With" menu in Windows 7? I have applications
I would like to have an option to use on certain types of data, and "Open
With" seems like the perfect solution if I could only add my choice to the
list. For example, use VLC to watch a .iso move file. Windows 7 only gives
a choice to burn the .iso file to my DVD burner and I would like to ad an
application like VLC to the "Open With" list so I have the option to also
watch the move. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

You're not going to be able to view the movie by opening the .iso file, but here's how to do what you asked: http://techie-buzz.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-open-iso-file.html

#3 TitanFan

TitanFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

You're not going to be able to view the movie by opening the .iso file, but here's how to do what you asked: http://techie-buzz.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-open-iso-file.html

Thanks for the info on WinRAR, but that didn't answer my question. This is a generic question about manipulating the "Open With" menu to add any programs I want to it, not just the default program. The VLC example was just an example. I have no issue playing iso movies, so that isn't a concern.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

Just right-click on an extension and choose Open With. Then click on BROWSE. Navigate to the program file you want to use. Next time that program will most likely be in the Open With "menu" for that particular extension.

#5 TitanFan

TitanFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

Just right-click on an extension and choose Open With. Then click on BROWSE. Navigate to the program file you want to use. Next time that program will most likely be in the Open With "menu" for that particular extension.

Well, it doesn't seem to work quite like you described. When I click on Open With, I see several programs in the menu and the option to "Choose Default Program" which then allows me to browse or select from the list. This isn't what I want, as I don't want to change the default program for that extension, just add a program to the list of available programs to Open With.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

When you browse the list and select a new program it should be added to the others that appear the next time you click on a similar file type.

#7 TitanFan

TitanFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

When you browse the list and select a new program it should be added to the others that appear the next time you click on a similar file type.

Nope. It adds the new program as the very first menu item on the right-click menu. The program is *not* added to the Open With menu. Plus, the only way to get the program added at the top of the right-click menu is to change the default program, which I don't want to do. This seems like a hard question with no simple answer.

#8 kenji22

kenji22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

i have a feeling what you are asking is if it is possible to just add a program to the "open with" list that will always be there, correct?

i don't actually know, but i wasn't sure exactly what you were asking.

#9 TitanFan

TitanFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

i have a feeling what you are asking is if it is possible to just add a program to the "open with" list that will always be there, correct?

i don't actually know, but i wasn't sure exactly what you were asking.

Yes, but the menu item needs to be connected to the file extension. For example, I only want to see the VLC application on the Open With menu for files with the .iso extension.

#10 JohnHaymond

JohnHaymond

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

Greetings, TitanFan.

If you feel comfortable editing your Registry, you could follow the steps listed here. Just be advised that before making any changes, you should back up any affected Registry keys.

I would imagine that there are dedicated programs available that will do what you ask, but they probably perform the same Registry changes.
One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.
-- Alphonse Bertillon

#11 TitanFan

TitanFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the info! Wow, that's a bit more involved than I would expect. I'll definitely take a backup of the registry before trying this. The article just covers removing items from Open With menu, not adding them. I suppose I could try and change one of the existing programs listed in the registry to the one I want. Or, maybe I'll not even attempt this. Hmmmm.

#12 JohnHaymond

JohnHaymond

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

The article just covers removing items from Open With menu, not adding them. I suppose I could try and change one of the existing programs listed in the registry to the one I want.

I wouldn't recommend removing any entries - just add a new D-word or String Value (whatever is needed) and point it to the program you wish to add to the list.
One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.
-- Alphonse Bertillon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users