Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ada95

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:47 PM

Hello

I have started programming using ADA95, this being my first main programming language (outwith MS Visual Basic). I was just wondering if ADA95 is used a lot? and i am interested in what others think about this langauge and programs that have been created using it. Quite a general discussion, feel free to discuss any aspect of ADA95.

Thanks

Stu G.
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 atarinite

atarinite

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

Hello,
I good way I find what is useful is to see what the Industry is doing. The best way I think is to go to job posting website (like www.monster.com and www.dice.com) and do a search on a language.

#3 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:31 PM

I started this Ada95 discussion a while back but i would still like to know if many people use it and how it compares to other languages.

Post anything about Ada95 here really.

Cheers
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

#4 James Hurst

James Hurst

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

Ada was my first programming language and I feel it was ideal for teaching me the fundamental tenets of cleanly structured, robust software design. It was my favorite for a long time, and I used it on quite a few different systems. Where it has the appropriate facilities on your particular platform, there's no reason not to use it for things like command-line programs.

But I would not turn to it for developing a GUI-based Windows or MAC program today. It never did evolve into a mainstream, well-supported GUI-development language toolset, on the level of C++, C# or Java. I personally felt that it's evolution into an OOP language with Ada95 was.. well, it didn't seem very intuitive to me after coming back to it from C++ at that time. And it suffered from what I would call "rigidity": I had to make up my own dynamically-changeable string and collection classes, and that was a pain to keep maintaining.

I would consider Ada's primary contribution was to advance the concepts of structured programming. Java and C# did inherit a rich legacy from Ada, and Microsoft's Transact-SQL (the language used for stored procedures within their database SQL Server) is loosely based on it. It's a useful language, but unless you're preparing for a DOD contract job it would not be the primary programming language that I would want to be versant in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users