Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I been hacked supposedly.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RaiokuSensei

RaiokuSensei

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

Well last night I was browsing the web for eh.... intresting photos. I go to school the next morning and one of my buds is looking at me with a grimlin smile. He said he seen what I was looking at which I have no idea how. We live in 2 different houses across town. He said he got past my firewall easy. Which I think is impossible because I drop 60$ for McAfees total protection. But anyway he seen some contents in my hard drive. Some of which im sure I deleted over a year ago. He said I have to ghost it or something to get rid of the data completely (something about leaving all 0 on the hard drive). Any insight on this?

EDIT: Removed HJT log, moved to Am I Hacked forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2011 - 03:14 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Hacked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

You can read how to wipe data using DBAN.
Active KillDisk also does the same thing.
The Eraser tool can erase all the deleted files to make them unrecoverable.

#3 RaiokuSensei

RaiokuSensei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

thanks man appreciate the reply :thumbup2: thats one issue down. But the issue of this wana be hacker getting past my firewall bothers me still. I even went to shields up and they gave me all green and good results. But then again I think my bud is all talk and didnt get through it at all; although its best to be safe then sorry right?

Edited by RaiokuSensei, 01 March 2011 - 04:54 PM.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

When a hacker buddy is involved, situation becomes complicated because
- buddies send you e-mail which you open without suspecting.
- they can visit your place and access your system physically.
- If your buddy knows a little advanced programming, he can create his own private trojan making it undetectable by any anti-virus.

Do these things in the future,
- disable Remote Connections for Windows.
- if you use a router, make sure you disable remote access for router interface. Turn on your router firewall.
- keep Windows updated. Install your McAfee and keep it updated.
- always use a Standard user account for regular use and when online.
- disable Guest account in Windows
- rename Administrator account to something else. Don't use your name

You can attach a snapshot (file -> save file) of TCPView and attach (do not copy/paste) it in your next reply.

#5 RaiokuSensei

RaiokuSensei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

well I guess he is all talk then, because he never gave me a program. Never has been to my house. I have mcAfee total protection updated constantly. Goin to change my windows settings tonight. Appreciate your help dude you lifted a great weight off my shoulders. :thumbsup:

One more question though. If all my security settings are all straight is it recommended that I use a standard user account?

Edited by RaiokuSensei, 01 March 2011 - 11:16 PM.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

One more question though. If all my security settings are all straight is it recommended that I use a standard user account?

Yes. When you use a Standard account your chances of getting infected get reduced. Infection is usually (not always) first step and hacking is second.

I forgot to mention in my last post -
Always keep your important documents encrypted with something like TrueCrypt. This way even if a hacker gains access to your documents, he/she would only get encrypted bytes - no use for him/her.
Even better - keep all your hard disk encrypted. But when encrypting, never ever forget the password - because if you forget, then your documents are gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users