Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk space consumption creep

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

well. let's see here. got desktop running vista HoPre SP2 that was sold as a refurb by emachines. AMD Athlon X2 4400+, 3GB DDR2, 320GBHDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE integrated GPU, specs where it was bought etc etc. I've gone and wiped out the gunk that emachines festooned it with, including norton 360(and I used symantec's norton removal thing), set it up with avast, MBAM, spywareblaster, etc.
and I'll note that, even though supposedly it came with a warranty, emachines' representatives insisted it wasn't under warranty way back when I got it a couple years ago (I'd been holding off because I wanted to get it a better PSU and ditch vista, but honestly my old desktop needs to be able to Requiescat en pacis.) so there's not much point in looking to them for any help.

and I sit and I watch the amount of used HDD space increase over time, even if I've let it idle. tried turning off avast's shields, that slowed it.

we've gone over it with the usual sorts of stuff over in the MRL section. seems to be clean of malware, unless there's something crazily well hidden.
( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic378847.html )

and yet, the space consumption keeps going up.
after our fussing and efforts, we ended up revealing the mystery space that wasn't showing up when I hit properties on the contents of the drive instead of the drive itself, and it was in system volume info. disk cleanup'ing the restore points and volumeshadowcopy stuff reclaimed the space!

but yet the creep continues. I can keep getting it back by continuing to do the "clean out restore points/VSC" thing, but I think it's kind of dumb and counterproductive to do that every few hours. furthermore, I'm posting this from a laptop that I've got set up the same way as the desktop as far as I can tell, and this whole matter is NOT happening with it.

so, now I'm posting in this section, looking for solutions here, since the idea of malware is currently mothballed. I'm not sure if turning off system restore would make a difference; it's on constantly with the laptop and again, the laptop isn't having this problem. even if, once I get done installing, updating, and all that jazz, I usually turn off system restore untill I'm soon to be doing anything risky, I'd rather be doing it by choice rather than "do this or your HDD space vanishes", just the same.

and remembering how much I wish I had an XP installer put together with SATA drivers because vista is a PiTA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

#3 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

um... and the point of that link was...? I've got WinDirStat onhand. it's how I found out where the space was, after much cleanup efforts. not really seeing how that link is supposed to be helping, man.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

Sorry. I just reread your post. The fact that you found the files in the SVI folder was hidden in there and I missed it the first time. I have trouble reading lengthy posts that dance around the facts (no offense - just stating a fact - it's a form of ADD that I have). Anyway, if you are saying that restore points are using too much space you have several options:

1) Reduce the space allotted to restore points: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/reduce-system-restores-disk-usage-in-vista/
2) Continually use disk cleanup to delete all but the most current restore point
3) My favorite. Disable system restore and use disk imaging software on a regular basis

#5 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

while I'll try shutting off system restore and waiting to see if that affects it... if it doesn't that remains a worry.

n' what I don't understand is why it's sitting there chugging space over time in that manner when another machine with what appear to be the same settings is -not- experiencing this effect.

also, I find myself looking at the whole idea kind of confused; it can't possibly be making restore points THAT fast, can it? this stuff isn't taking 6+ hours to manifest or anything.

I'd probably be using external disk imagining software if I had decent means to store the images; as it is, the only real storage I have other than the machine's HDD is a similarly sized external... that's 2/3rds full. I'd buy a spindle of DVDs, but right now my bills have been killing the budget.

*testing wait:3:55pm~4:22pm~5:00pm~5:22pm*

54503362560b -> 54514200576b(disable sysrestore/cleanup again) -> 54517817344b (wait)-> another cleanup -> 54517800960b ->(wait) *terminates VSC service* > 54517784579b -> cleanup -> 54516830208b(wait) -> 54516830208b -> run windirstat -> 54516879360b -> *turn on avast shields* -(wait)> 54516994048b -> cleanup -> 54516973568b

okay what is this madness. if it's being left idle... and both systemrestore and VSC are off... why should a cleanup specifically wiping out VSC and systemrestore still be having any affect? why should the used space keep changing?

what IS this MADNESS?

*does that same cleanup again.* 54516895744b

this is seriously getting on my nerves.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

Okay, as I said I can't get through posts like that. Was there another question?

#7 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

okay. let's try this again, having made sure system restore is DEFINATELY off.

the usage of disk space is still fluxuating even with the machine sitting idle. something seems wrong about this. maybe I'm being paranoid though.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

If you think you are losing disk space for no reason and can't pinpoint the cause, it could be malware. I'd suggest running full scans with BOTH your anti virus utility and MalwareBytes.

#9 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

*frustration* it seems like, amid "tl;dr"ing, you missed the part about "we've gone over and over with antimalware stuff and found nothing" and the link to the thread demonstrating such. <.<;

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

That's on me - sorry.

If system restore is off then the space is no longer being used in the SVI folder(s). Let's go back to treesize - that will pinpoint where space is being used. If system restore is definitely off then restore points cannot be created and that's all that should be in the SVI folders.

#11 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

I've been sitting and watching this thingwith it idle. it goes and fluxuates (and last look at treesize suggested it's happening in the windows directory O_o), but it seems at this moment to have stabilized. I'm going to let it idle and see what happens later. on the other hand, there's a discrepancy between what treesize says and what C:\ > properties says... moving up out of bytes and into GB, treesize says 52.616GB used, while properties says 50.2GB used.

so even if it stopped with the fluxuating for the moment, something's still not right.

*-edit-*
and then I exited treesize and paint(which I was using to compare a screencapture of treesize to a refreshed treesize, to spot differences), and the space usage changed again. I'm going to keep an eye on this... :/

Edited by ZT-repairseek, 27 February 2011 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users