Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL Internet Connection turns on and off frequently

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nolesqb11

nolesqb11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hello, and thank you for allowing me to be a member of this site. I am a new member, and have a situation that has been happening for about 3-4 days now.
I am using a Netgear router DGN2200, n300. I have DSL service, and have been experiencing the connection turning off and on, for no apparant reason these past few days.
The flashing green light turns to red and only local access available. I login to the router and check all settings, and see no changes or problems that stand out.
I tried rebooting, uninstalling, reinstalling, updating drivers, as well as disabling and re-enabling the network. Only error windows gave me when trying to repair was a problem with connecting to the NIC. As of this exact moment the internet is working, for how long I am unsure. I have a feeling it is either my PCTools or Kaspersky IS.
I appreciate your time helping and reading this post.

EDIT: Removed HJT log, not allowed in this forum since it is a malware tool and only used in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware...Malware Removal Logs forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2011 - 03:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

What happens if you remove the router from the equation...and connect directly to the modem?

Have you taken a look at your browser add-ons?

Have you taken a look in Event Viewer for errors that may shed some light?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 nolesqb11

nolesqb11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

I am running a Dell core duo desktop. Windows Vista, and the router/modem I have is a netgear n-300, dsl modem/router. It is the only thing in between the phone line in and my computer aside from the network cable.
I have not checked Event Viewer, maybe you can shed some light for me as to how I do that, I never used Event Viewer before.

#4 Reddoug

Reddoug

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

Hi
I had a similar problem two years ago. Turned out to be a problem with the wiring in the house. I now have two dedicated data only phone jacks that I hooked the DSL modem to (up & downstairs)and the filter is on the outside of the house. No more filters between phones and jacks. Phone company did the repairs.

Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users