Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wait times for help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jimworzala

jimworzala

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

I am wondering if it is possible to have some kind of mechanism for people who are waiting for help to have at least a rough idea of how long they will have to wait for help. I know that you are working hard to keep up with the tremendous uptick in malware :thumbsup: , but I also think that a lot of the people who are waiting also work hard and don't have a lot of time to waste. I think most people are willing to wait, but would at least like to know approximately how long, so they don't sit around their computer all day waiting for a response. This would probably cut down on the "Am I being helped?" and "Have you lost my post?" type of postings, and people double posting or bumping their post. Email notifications also help, at least for people who have access to their email from more than one computer, but it would help to know approximately how often to check. Especially for people who may have to go to another site to access their email.

I thought I could get a rough idea by filtering the order of the posts based on replies with on order of A-Z. Unfortunately either there is no secondary sort order, or the secondary sort order is not a helpful one, because the Last Post Info is all jumbled. If this list was, or could be, sorted secondarily based on post order A-Z, then people could at least get a rough idea of where they stand.

Alternatively, perhaps there could be a box at the top of the each forum subsection stating how many active posts there are with zero replies. Or something like, you are post #250 and we are currently serving post #180, anything that would at least give people some idea of where they stand. I read another post which said that there was a way for administrators to see a listing of open logs. Perhaps you could consider allowing all users to see that listing. Anything that you could do would be appreciated.

In any case, I thank you all for your service, I have used the site several times to help out with disinfecting several computers, and your help was and is invaluable. Please keep up the good work and accept my sincere appreciation for all that you do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

This has always been an issue and unfortunately there is not much I can do. Your ideas sound great but would require a lot of coding changes on the forums, which I do not want to do.

I will see what I can do, but cant make any promises.

#3 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:16 AM

It doesn't necessarily have to be a coding thing, how about a pinned post at the top of the forum/subforum with the topic title of "As of 2/11/2011 at 2:45 PM there are approx 75 posts on this forum with no replies, oldest post from 2/05." Or just titled "Open Logs" and the post, when opened, has more information in it. I assume that the administrators have the ability to pin and unpin or to delete or edit pinned posts. Someone could just update it a couple of times a day. Even if it wasn't perfectly accurate, it would at least give people a rough idea.

Edited by jimworzala, 24 February 2011 - 01:21 AM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:20 AM

For your information the current backlog is around 6 days.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

Thanks, I suspected it was fairly high. That helps a lot, and again just a pinned topic with that info would probably cut down on a lot of anxiety on the part of someone waiting for a response.

Edited by jimworzala, 24 February 2011 - 01:31 AM.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

I am going to try and come up with a better solution. You suggestion is not being ignored. Just have a lot on my plate that needs to be resolved first.

#7 jimworzala

jimworzala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Thank you for considering it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users