Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what do the bandwith test numbers mean?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 noah_1

noah_1

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

my mom is being solicited by Quest to change to them from Comscat. the salewoman says that Comcast has a speed of 12 mbps and quest will be 20mbps. excues for not capitalizing the m or the m and the b to signify wether it is mega bytes or bits as i am not sure how this is done. i assume someone answering would know if those quoted speeds are bit or byte. i have done a few of the bandwith test and the download speed is around 11 mega bits and upload is around 2, ping about 60. this number is close to the 12 that the Quest rep said Comcast was providing. but this leaves me confused. i would thnk download speed would be afffected by the pc and this pc is old and slow.

really i just would like someone to explain what those bandwidth tests mean. and in general is one connection method better between dsl and cable.

thanks, noah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

The bandwidth tests show you how much bandwidth(which is how much information it can move at once) you internet connection has. 12Mbps is megabits per second. Your internet browsing speed is mostly affected is mostly affeted by two things... 1. The speed of your internet connection...and 2. The speed of the internet connection of the site you are looking at. The fact that you computer is older only means it will take a little longer to open IE (or whatever browser you use) after that all of the speed is determined by your Internet connection. The reason this works is because the Network Interface Card(NIC) in your computer is more than likely capable of 100Mbps which is way more than your internet connection can provide.

As far as the connection method goes I find it makes little difference to the performance of the internet service. The true performance measure is the speed of the connection.

One final note for you to consider. Since you can only download as fast as the site you are visting can upload it is very rare to get the full 12 or 20 Mbps from most websites. Usual you are only getting that from dedicated download sites like microsoft or other large companies that can afford the highbandwidth connections. so is the 60% increase in bandwidth worth the cost????
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:47 AM

does you Mum have a need for 20Mbps rather than 12Mbps - if its free and cheaper then fine , but i would not pay a premimum for that unless needed
Also is there any capping IE you can only download X GB per month

The speed you currently have would allow for streaming HD Video , so what would the advantage be to change ?

FYI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units
ETAF

#4 noah_1

noah_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

thanks guys,

i ve been having trouble logging here as the 2 usernames throws me off. the dsl at 20mbps would actually be cheaper according to the Quest saleswoman. me mum has yet to verify as she gets cable and internet both from comcast and has not called to find out how cancelling her internet would effect her cable rate. she rarely downloads or streams video.i she was just having problems with intermittent service but that seems to occur less often since a virus has been removed. i guess it probably wasnt anything to do with isp that she would lose round scores on a game called wordtwist which is the primary and almost solitary function of her pc.
so i will advise her to stick with her current service unless it is substantially cheaper to switch. and i doubt this as the 12 quid a month quoted by the saleswoman did not seem counterbalance her resistance to change as in changing her email. mothers.

thanks for your responses. noah

#5 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

I would check those prices out closly - there are often other add-ins which make it expensive and competitive
in the UK - talktalk do that -
£14.99 for their unlimited deal and then to get other services (which sometimes are bundled ) you pay extra

for the service i was comparing I had to add and an additional 2.99 and 4.09 . so actually 22.07 to compare

Edited by etaf, 27 February 2011 - 02:52 PM.

ETAF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users