Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Happening To My System?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cherribliss69

cherribliss69

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

all my system icons started looking funny, like they are gone, they are all generic and ugly, i have tried to do a system restore but that did not help....here is what they look like...
Posted Image

now i have tried weveral fixs from here http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm but none have worked. what i have tried from there were the CPL, Directory, EXE, Folder, LNK, and URL, but do not know whatelse to do, those fixs were recommended off a posting i had searched for at annoyances.org here.... http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1130633327

any help ANY would greatly be appreciated...thank you. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:21 PM

have you done any viruses scans? Also have you checked to see if your logo's are still saved somewhere?

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:34 PM

cherribliss69,

First of all let me say Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Did you download any software, add any new programs, just prior to this happening to your desktop icons? Anything new, that you can think of that you may have done with your machine? Any clues you might give us? I'm going to give you a Microsoft KB article that "may" help, in the meantime.

Be (Desktop Icon) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 cherribliss69

cherribliss69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:37 PM

this is what i have done, i had (all with the latest updated definitions) scanned with AdawareSE, Spybot, Spysweeper, ewido, and MCAS....ran an online scan(s) with Panda, Trendmicro, and BitDefender, nothing found, then i ran an AVG scan in both regular, and safe mode, nothing found, i then ran hijackthis, the log file shows nothing out of the ordinary, all items recognized. i tried tweakUI to restore all icons from memory, nothing....im at a loss here, if they are no my system, i dont know where to look, thank you for your responcse, any other ideas? :thumbsup:

#5 cherribliss69

cherribliss69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:40 PM

cherribliss69,

First of all let me say Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Did you download any software, add any new programs, just prior to this happening to your desktop icons? Anything new, that you can think of that you may have done with your machine? Any clues you might give us? I'm going to give you a Microsoft KB article that "may" help, in the meantime.

Be (Desktop Icon) Safe

the only thing that i had done was to install the update to sun java from update 5 to 6....now this has extreamly slowed up my IE loading to about 15-20 seconds...i had done what was suggested by removing prior versions, and now im stuck with that, thats the only thing that i can think of....thank you for your response.... :thumbsup:

#6 cherribliss69

cherribliss69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:51 PM

:flowers: :) :) :) :thumbsup: WHOOO HOOOO you're a star!!!! thank you soooo much for the microsoft kb article, it worked perfectly, again , thank you :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :) :P

Posted Image

Edited by cherribliss69, 18 December 2005 - 10:52 PM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:12 AM

cherribliss69,

You're very welcome. Glad it worked out for you. Notes like this make us smile and know what we do here is worth it and appreciated. Come back and visit any time. Happy Holidays to you.

Be (Visible Icon) Safe

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 cherribliss69

cherribliss69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

:thumbsup: again, thank you and to all the fine folks here at Bleeping Computer...., Happy Chrismahanukwanzakah .. or as
Frank Costanza would say... "a Festivus for the rest of us"

:flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users