Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with ATI Radeon HD AGP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jmover52

jmover52

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

I'll admit upfront I did this to myself. A few months ago the C:/ drive in the computer my son built for me failed. I installed a new HD but the display was not working properly, when I scrolled down a web page it would kind of roll. After some research I deceided that the drivers for my ATI Radeon HD 2400 AGP card needed to be reinstalled. After fumbling around for a while I finally downloaded and installed drivers from AMD which included something called ATI Catalyst control ( or something like that). A red box with ATI appeared on the bottom right toolbar which I took to mean was an open program. The display of web paged now scrolled up and down fine, but once in awhile when viewing videos the screen would blink and I would get a message saying the ATI catalyst control center changed the resoultion ( or something like that). This got annoying so I bought a 10 day liscense for one of the driver update programs, I can't remember the name. It worked very well and found updated drivers a few times which eliminated all issues with viewing videos of any kind.

This is where I get stupid. A few days ago I thought I would cleverly save some space on the C: drive by deleting the catalyst control thingy becasue I thought the updated drivers were working and I not longer needed it. WRONG. A day after that I installed a microsoft security update, and when the machine rebooted I started getting messages that windows found new hardware. UH OH The computer started to freeze up a few mins. and I got an error message I had never seen before saying the video card had gone into an "endless loop" I think the term was. I went back to the AMD website and reinstalled the ATI catalyst control center suite which I think I did, but keep getting the freeze up where the screen gooes black and won't respond to anything.I should add that even though the catalyst control installer said it had installed catalyst software suite version 11.2 I no longer see the red ATI box on the bottom right of the desktop toolbar.
Any help I could get would be appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from Audio and Video to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ram1990

ram1990

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:44 AM

Back up your system drive containing the OS and do a fresh install of OS and install the driver from the cd provided with ur gfx card and then update the drivers.There is no need for using a driver update s/w.U can dwnld it from ATI website.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

I'd try something a little less severe :).

I would uninstall the ATI drivers, from Device Manager. I would then go to Add/Remove programs and check to see that there are no ATI or Catalyst entries reflected. If there are, uninstall those applications.

Then...install the drivers from your CD.

If you don't have the drivers CD...go to the ATI website...download the appropriate packages...make sure that NET Framework 3.5, SP1 is installed on your system...install the ATI package.

Louis

#4 JohnHaymond

JohnHaymond

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:17 PM

Agreed with hamluis. And, if you're still having problems after installing the new ATI package, you might try uninstalling again, and downloading and running Driver Sweeper (http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html), which will clean up any broken fragments from prior driver removals, then reinstalling the ATI software.
One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.
-- Alphonse Bertillon

#5 jmover52

jmover52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

I went into device manager and uninstalled the hardware. Then I reinstalled the driver from the disk, and updated from the web site. It worked fine for a day, then froze again. When I rebooted, windows told me to go to display/settings/advanced/troubleshoot and turn the hardware acceleration from full to none, and uncheck the enable write combing box. I did this and it seems to be fine. My question now is, when I uninstalled the hardware did all the display drivers get deleted with it? Should I unstall the hardware once more and run the driver sweeper program, then reinstall the hardware and drivers from the cd and web site?
Am I missing anything I need with the hardware acceleration off and not enableing write combing?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

Confucious say..."A working system is a good system."

If it's working fine, just leave it alone and enjoy it. Drivers are worth worrying about only when they are a problem, IMO.

Adjusting hardware acceleration is a known solution to some video driver problems...which is why it was suggested by Windows :).

Louis

#7 jmover52

jmover52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

I'm still haveing some issues. I have used Microsoft Movie Maker in the past to make slide shows with great results. Now the images are all fuzzy and hard to see when playing the video I created. Yet viewed individually the same images are fine. I assume this is because the hardware acceleration is now set to none and enable write combine is unchecked. I never had to do that before.

I have a drivermax program that says I have over 30 video drivers installed. Should these be all uninstalled?

#8 jmover52

jmover52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Agreed with hamluis. And, if you're still having problems after installing the new ATI package, you might try uninstalling again, and downloading and running Driver Sweeper (http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html), which will clean up any broken fragments from prior driver removals, then reinstalling the ATI software.

I was going to download and install driver-sweeper until my ESET anti-virus said it was not safe.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

When you uninstall any device via Device Manager...you are uninstalling the drivers for that device.

Now...that doesn't mean that you have fully uninstalled any of the ancillary software that comes with the drivers (a typical example is a printer)...and I also uninstall that software, using Add/Remove Programs.

There is no need at all...to use a 3d-party program to either install or uninstall drivers. Device Manager works quite well for such.

Following is the method I use for such, http://www.techrepublic.com/article/removing-unused-device-drivers-from-windows-xp-machines/6017628 .

You might also take a look at Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/TroubleShooting/RemoveUnusedDriversandDevices.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users