Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display on monitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cigam0102

cigam0102

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

Upon starting the computer does not beep and nothing on monitor. It has done this before and I just had to restart to get it to work, but now nothing. It has XP OS, dont know other specs right. Any help would be great!! Thanks

It was given to us, so don't have other specs right now.

It worked when we got it. We have used it and it would work good just on start up sometimes it would not do anything just like now, so we just shut off the power and restarted it, but now that doesn't even work.

We did a test, in which was to remove the HD and CDROM DRIVE, in addition, the floppy drive was taken out too. We then ran a total of 4 tests:
Test 1: 1st RAM in 1st slot: Nothing happens
Test 2: 2nd RAM in 1st slot: Nothing happens
Test 3: 2nd RAM in 2nd slot: Nothing happens
Test 4: 1st RAM in 2nd slot: It kept on beeping until we shut it off.

I hope that this information is useful to help us solve our problem.

Thanks for reading!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:24 AM

When you press the power button do you hear the fan(s) spinning? Does the hard disk light flash? Exactly what does happen?

#3 cigam0102

cigam0102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

This unit has a total of 6 fans, all are spinning(I've got the sides of) so I can see them. Light on the front of the machine is on and I can hear the HD spinning up. Also the green light on the mother board is on.

Hope this may help!!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

Well, first thing to do is make sure it isn't the display. Do you have another one you can hook up?

#5 cigam0102

cigam0102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Sorry, forgot to say I've tried another monitor.

Strange thing is I just double checked that and when I went to disconnect the monitor the computer made a couple beeps and looked like it briefly came on??!!

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

Well, it could be anything from a bad graphics card to the hd, ram, mobo, etc. It's just impossible to diagnose based on what we know so far. Here are some things you can try:

1) If you have another video card lying around, give it a shot.
2) If you have an original XP CD, boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r. If not, download the diagnostic utility from your hd mfg's website, burn it to cd, boot to it and run it
3) Download memtest (www.memtest.org), burn it to cd, boot to it and test the ram

The fact that there are NO beeps made me think it was the power supply at first, but you said all fans are running and the lights are on - so that's probably not it. If it IS a bad video card, that should generate a beep code - so that's probably not the problem but still, no harm in checking if you have a spare. Sorry to be so vague but again, it's just difficult to be more precise with the given facts.

#7 cigam0102

cigam0102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

So here is what happened, when the machine made that beep sound after plugging in the other monitor I decided to take that card out of the slot(I hadn't tried that before because I'm still new with working on these things) anyway I took an eraser to the connections to clean them, then reinstalled it and after a couple tries it started to work! :thumbsup:

But now it says it needs a system restore and it wont let me do it, so that will be but on another thread for some help!!

Thanks for the replies!

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

Sure. Glad you're up and running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users