Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud motor - UGH!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 novice101

novice101

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook w/ 4 GB of RAM (a couple years old). I used to leave it on all the time but, after the advice of a computer technician I hired, I now turn it off almost every night. Anyhow, the motor is always running so loud that it's really distracting. Every once in awhile I'll get a moment of quiet. Is there anything I can do to correct this? It's the main computer in the house so I never move it. Would removing the battery and letting it run just off the electricity make a difference? It's starting to drive me crazy!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

Hi,

The sound youre hearing may be coming from your Hard Drive or simply from a fan.

Maybe uploading a video on youtube or similar with the noise that it is making would help us identify from where the sound is coming. Example, if the noise its making is constant while doing something on the pc, it might be the fan.

Regards

#3 novice101

novice101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

My computer guy said it's the fan cooling down the motor and that this is inherent in HP notebooks. It's constantly running, whether I'm using it or not. That's why I'm wondering if taking the battery out would make any difference - in other words less stress on the motor? I don't know if that makes any sense. It was suggested to me when I first bought this to run it without the battery because it really doesn't need (it can just run off of the electricity) and therefore the battery won't go bad.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Turn it off and flip it over.
Check the fan to make sure it isnt dirty. It may need a cleaning.
You can use a small brush and a little compressed air to clean it .
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 novice101

novice101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

Okay - I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

I'm not at all surprised that you are dealing with a loud HP model. That issue seems to be inherent in all HP models. You should just be glad that you don't own an HP Proliant DL360 G5 server. Because gosh, those things sound like C130's!

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users