Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet choked

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pmorley

pmorley

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

Internet has really slowed down when trying to connect with ie8 windows 7 it could take a minute or two to open webpages I have tried other web browsers and they are fine. my wireless connection is normal as is my computer which runs fine. Could someone please look at this log and tell me if anything is wrong

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:27 AM

Hi,

If you only have this in IE, then it's most probably because of one or more of the add-ons you have installed.
You can test this, so please do the following:

To run Internet Explorer 8 without Add-ons, rightclick the IE8 icon present on your desktop and select: "Start without Add-ons"

Posted Image

In case that option is not present there, go to start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Posted Image

This will start Internet Explorer 8 in the No-Add ons mode. This means that toolbars and Browser Helper Objects will be disabled.
So if your problem is solved when you use the No-Add on mode, this means that one of your Add ons is causing this.
Let me know if your problem is solved in the No-Add on mode.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 pmorley

pmorley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

hi thanks for the reply, I did update to internet explorer 9 and disabled add ons from there and it seems to process faster also. I will keep an eye on this and if not, revert back to ie8 and follow your instructions. Again, thanks for your reply.

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

Hi,

Well, to figure out what add-ons are causing your problem.. * Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools button in the menu > Manage Add-ons > Enable or Disable Add-ons
This will open a new Window with the Add-ons currently loaded into Internet Explorer (that option should be selected by default under "Show")
Now, it's a matter of trial and error what exact Add-on is causing this, so select the first Add-on there and under settings below, select the "disable" radio button. Click Ok below and close your Internet Explorer in order to accept the changes.
Then open your Internet Explorer again and look if you're still having the same problem, if so - then disable the next Add-on there... and so on, until you figured out which Add-on exactly is causing your problem.

:)
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 pmorley

pmorley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hi I have tried this with ie9 and after a while I started having the same problems, reverting back to ie8 and disabled all add ons and still my internet reacts really slow and the process time is like a dial up! sorry to ask again for your help but Im just about to do a re install of my system just to start all over, as even system restore wont work for me..this really just started to happen in the last few days, before that it loaded fine.

#6 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:05 AM

Well, it looks like it's only in your Internet Explorer, right?
I still blame the add-ons mainly though. I see the Windows Live Toolbar and other additional components installed here. I do know that it may cause issues on some systems. This one has also set an additional Winsock LSP, which is related with connection as well.
So, I suggest you temporary uninstall that. The "searchsettings Toolbar" is installed here as well. This one is a "dealio/spigot" variant and is not recommended either. So I strongly suggest you uninstall that one as well.

Anyway, please give me a list of all programs installed here, so I can tell you what exact add-ons/programs to uninstall. To get this list, Open HijackThis, click Config, click Misc Tools
Click "Open Uninstall Manager"
Click "Save List" (generates uninstall_list.txt)
Click Save, copy and paste the results in your next post.

#7 pmorley

pmorley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:46 AM

heres the hijack this log as requested. Thank you.

Attached Files

#8 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:57 AM

Hi,

I would start with uninstalling toolbars first:
You can add them later again, if you are really using them. But, every extra add-on (toolbars) may cause IE slowdown issues..
So we need to uninstall potential causes first, so we can properly troubleshoot...

The following can be uninstalled:

Yahoo! Toolbar
Search Settings v1.2.3
Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
Messenger Companion
Bing Bar

I would also uninstall all Windows Live components there, except for Windows Live messenger (if you use it) and Windows Live Mail (if you use it)... as they may be the main culprits and I have heard many complaining about this already that it causes a slow IE.

Please make sure your Internet Explorer is closed while uninstalling. Then, reboot afterwards after the uninstall.

#9 pmorley

pmorley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

I have uninstalled the items you asked me to and there is still no difference in sites loading, however i have noticed that when I minimise the webpage it loads faster! strange I know. I dont know what else to try....Thanks

#10 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hi,

Have you cleaned your cache and cookies already in Internet Explorer? Note... after you do this, it is totally normal that pages load slower, this because they are not cached yet. But once they are cached, it should go faster again.
Also look here: Help! My computer is slow! under 4. Clean unused files from your system for extra tips.

Also, after doing the above, can you post a new HijackThis log please?

#11 pmorley

pmorley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Cleaned the files in internet explorer and posted another log for you to look at.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users