Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down randomly....can't figure it out...help!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 linxsis

linxsis

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:10 AM

Hey all,

first of all thanks.

I have this weird problem where my computer will shut off without any notice or error. I don't think its the power supply overheating as the CPU and HDD temps seems to be fine not to mention that the PSU is about a year old. Its on a system that I built, socket 478 pentium 4, 768 sdram, asus motherboard, 2 HDDs. Its using windows XP pro with sp3 I believe. Its basically used as a server so there is not much activity other than being on 24/7.

So, back to the problem, the computer shuts down without notice. No error, none that is even reported to the error reporting service. There is no restart and when the computer is turned on manually, there is no "the computer has shutdown incorrectly so run chkdsk" message either. It boots up fine too. So I have run virus scans, malware scans, registry cleaners, registry optimizers, defrags, and nada. Same thing happens. I can't figure out whats causing it. As I have said, the error reporting service does not report any issue that would have caused it to shut down. There was an issue with the IMAPI thing for the cd but the time that the error occured and the time the computer shut down were too far apart to be the cause. I have gone into system settings and unchecked "automatically restart" when there is an error. I have made sure that there were no scheduled tasks either. No third party programs running that would cause it to shut down and no scheduled virus scans either.

So ....help?

Edited by linxsis, 23 February 2011 - 06:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

I think I know what your problem is. You are sleep walking and shutting down the computer subconciously. ;)

Ok, now that I got that outta the way..!

Does this system have a stand alone GPU? If you can remove that and use the onboard GPU?<if available.. then try that to see if problem goes away.

I don't think its the power supply overheating as the CPU and HDD temps seems to be fine

Higher temps of those two things would not reflect a bad PSU, a bad PSU would be underpowering things, making them run cooler..less electricity..less heat. You should not rule out a bad PSU because temps are normal.

So I have run virus scans, malware scans, registry cleaners, registry optimizers, defrags, and nada.

This website is very much against using tools that clean the registry and or optimize it. They most often then not find False Positives and delete necesssary registry keys, most of the time cause more harm then good.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 23 February 2011 - 07:12 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

Have you checked the Power Schemes and other settings in Power Options Properties?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

@ S1lentsOul

Higher temps of those two things would not reflect a bad PSU, a bad PSU would be underpowering things, making them run cooler..less electricity..less heat. You should not rule out a bad PSU because temps are normal.

One of the by products of a failing PSU is heat. Less voltage does not equate lower temperatures. A good example would be an electric motor that is experiencing a voltage drop due to the length of the wire run thus increasing the resistance which generates heat.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

@ Linxsis

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

No error, none that is even reported to the error reporting service.

By error reporting service are you referring to the Event Viewer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 linxsis

linxsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

[-ok, sorry about the registry cleaners. I read on a forum somewhere that registry errors might be the cause. And yes, I am refering to the event viewer. I will download speccy and get a snapshot.

-And there is a graphics card installed. I will try to remove it and see if the onboard graphics will work. But shouldn't there be an error message of some sort?

-I have checked power options and no go.

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2011 - 05:11 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#7 linxsis

linxsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sso58fkDhv4fET176eBqHbC

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

That motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

Does it do the same thing in safe mode?
Sounds like hardware to me but maybe not.

Have you reseated all cabling and memory?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

When was the last time that you cleaned the inside of the case? Overheating can cause this which is an easy fix.

On a side note... your computer is capable of running in dual channel which will make it perform appreciably faster. Have you given any thought to removing the 256MB module and installing a matching module for the 512MB module?

#11 linxsis

linxsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

When was the last time that you cleaned the inside of the case? Overheating can cause this which is an easy fix.

On a side note... your computer is capable of running in dual channel which will make it perform appreciably faster. Have you given any thought to removing the 256MB module and installing a matching module for the 512MB module?

I clean it often since its on 24/7. Those compressed air cans are expensive!

I will buy another matching pair to see if that works.

I wasn't sure if this was a hardware problem or a windows xp problem

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

Does this happen when you are your optical drive?

You posted that you have received an error message regarding the IMAPI, is this a blue screen error?

#13 linxsis

linxsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:39 AM

Does this happen when you are your optical drive?

You posted that you have received an error message regarding the IMAPI, is this a blue screen error?

no, not a BSOD or any blue screen. Rather it is in the event viewer.

and I don't know why the optical drive would come into play since there is nothing in it nor running

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

If you double click on an error while in the Event Viewer a description of the error will open. Click on the copy icon, (the copy icon is highlighted with the red square in the picture below), once this is done you can right click and paste this description. Please post the error description/s in your next post in this topic.

Posted Image

#15 linxsis

linxsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 2/28/2011
Time: 9:43:11 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BEACHWOOD
Description:
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users