Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems downloading SP1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BarryO

BarryO

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:16 AM

Hi, I have tried twice to download SP1 for Windows 7 but both attempts have failed .What can I do? TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:00 AM

When you say failed, what actually happened?

My first suggestion would be wait for a while until the servers aren't being hit like they would be at the moment!

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:27 AM

It runs for a while , says it's downloading , then the window shrinks to a quarter size there's a red X & it says download of update failed

#4 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hi,
I downloaded SP1 today and it took almost an hour, I think with it just been released there will be lots of folk downloading it, so as Platypus has said wait a while and try then.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#5 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:24 AM

Thanks both , I'll give it a couple of days

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

...and sometimes you will get the "download failed" when that's not true. I received it, rebooted, went back to Win Update...and there was nothing to be downloaded/installed.

Louis

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

When I downloaded SP1 it failed and stopped on 18% several times. I just kept using the try again and it finally completed.I think that the server is being overloaded because all the people trying at the same time to download.

Edited by Layback Bear, 24 February 2011 - 11:55 AM.

#8 Nimblewill

Nimblewill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

After reading about all the problems downloading/installing SP1 I decided to wait a week or two get the SP1 update.
To my surprise Windows notified me I had updates waiting to be installed. Three critical updates and SP1.
I installed the three updates and restarted my PC. Then I went back to Windows Updates and clicked on the SP1 update. The SP1 update then downloaded about 74MB and then installed without any problems.
The Microsoft server was really slow, some times it would stop for a while then resume downloading. Just be patient when downloading.
You might have less problems by just letting Windows update your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users