Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Applying Update Operation after installing Service Pack 1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:33 AM

Ok, so on our computer downstairs, I installed Service Pack 1 for Windows 7. After it rebooted, on the Windows 7 loading screen it shows "Applying update operation XXXX of XXXX". After a certain number it says "Error applying operation XXXX of XXXX", and then the system proceeds to hang on that screen, meaning that I am unable to access Windows.

I try mashing F8 for my life when resetting the computer, but I never get a list of boot options, so I cannot get into Safe Mode or even try the computer's Last Known Good Configuration.

The edition of this version of Windows 7 is 64 bit Ultimate.

The laptop I am using is also 64 bit Ultimate. Another thing I want to point out is that both of these computers have been taking an INCREDIBLY long time (near 12 hours at this point) trying to download and install Service Pack 1. There is no spyware or anything running in the background. I am fearing that I might get the same error on this machine but I have taken the liberty of creating a System Restore point in the event it happens.

I have two other Windows 7 machines in the house (32 bit Professional and 64 bit Home Premium), and both of them installed Service Pack 1 without any kind of problem, and both of those computers installed them rather quickly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

For anyone else having this problem, I think my problem was being caused by the language packs that you can get on Windows 7 Ultimate. After I reinstalled Windows on our family desktop I installed SP1 off the bat and it worked. On my laptop, I removed all of the language packs and attempted to install SP1, where it was successful.

#3 rnaodm

rnaodm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

Hello my friend just called me, told me he was installing some update that was taking forever, it ended up rebooting and long story short gave him an error, so while helping him troubleshoot I ended up here, hes having the same problem you did. This actually seems the be the only other instance of this issue. He also has all language packs installed. Hopefully I can help him fix this without a format.

Edited by rnaodm, 25 February 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#4 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

If you format when installing Windows 7, you are given the option to have your entire hard drive from the previous installation thrown into a folder called "Windows.old", so after installation, you can go into this folder and get all of your stuff back. Will that work for you?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

If you format when installing Windows 7, you are given the option to have your entire hard drive from the previous installation thrown into a folder called "Windows.old", so after installation, you can go into this folder and get all of your stuff back. Will that work for you?

If you format, nothing is saved. The drive is completely erased.

#6 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:45 AM

I thought Windows 7 gave you the option of having your previous hard drive thrown into that Windows.old folder, which is what happened with all of my previous Windows 7 installations that I've done in this house...

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:48 AM

I thought Windows 7 gave you the option of having your previous hard drive thrown into that Windows.old folder, which is what happened with all of my previous Windows 7 installations that I've done in this house...

I truly don't understand what you are suggesting. But the bottom line is that if you format you erase everything. Period.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

If you perform a repair install, upgrade install, or a custom install without formatting the drive for a clean install and selected to install Windows 7 on the same partition of the previous Windows installation, then you may have a C:\Windows.old folder left over in your new installation.

Posted Image

I'm not sure precisely what gets saved to the Windows.old folder as I haven't done a search for what it saves, or if Windows gives you an option...etc.

Hope this helps to clear things up a bit.

Edited by Union_Thug, 28 February 2011 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users