Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start bar and icons do not appear, login takes excessive time

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Frenetic

Frenetic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

My computer just recently (the past 3 days or so) started having a persistent issue. When I log on to my Windows profile, it lingers a very long time on the "loading your settings" screen, and when Windows does load, the start bar and icons are not visible for several (4-5) minutes and sometimes do not load at all.

I've run full scans with both MBAM and Microsoft Security Essentials and neither found anything. This happened once about a week and a half ago, but only began doing it on every startup a few days ago. I recently uninstalled Avira and replaced it with MSE. The computer was not hooked up to the internet during that process and I have not made any other system changes. Beyond the odd startup behavior, I'm having no problems whatsoever, and I can run programs from task manager even while icons and taskbar are not showing. According to task manager, explorer.exe is running. Using the new task button to run it again doesn't do anything, nor does ending the process.

My computer runs XP Professional service pack 3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44690.html/page__view__findpost__p__240174
If you are not redirected to an infected section , please read this section and follow the tips -
Defrag , Removal of Temp files , Diskcheck , Scannow , and other tips may help to start with -
Do you know how much free space your system has , removal of older programs can also help -
Please post back if you need any help with these items -
http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/ This item has some good tips (on the left side) to help with clean up -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 23 February 2011 - 12:44 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:05 AM

Open msconfig and choose selective startup (disable everything from loading) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. However, if the problem continues even with the first selective startup it's possible we're looking at a hardware related issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users