Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmail, I have a bug!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:53 PM

GoogleA bug in Google's Gmail beta gave email users 1 Terabyte of storage space for their mail today. This is essentially 1000 * 1GB of data storage, which is much larger than the highest capacity hard drive available today. From some of the messages on the Google user support forum, the service was having some problems today that may have been related to this bug.For those who do not know, Gmail is the new free email service that Google is beta testing to a select group of people in which they will provide up to 1GB of storage for each user's mail. What does Google get out of this? They get to target advertisements to you based on the content of your email. Google will scan the content of your email and present advertisements based on that content. This allows them to create highly targeted advertisements to the end user. At the same time, I can only imagine some of the advertisements that will be delivered with the subject matter of some of the spam I get :thumbsup:This has many people in an uproar as they feel that this is considered spyware and a breach of privacy. What I do not get, though, is that no one is forcing people to use this service. If you do not like their usage policy then do not use their service.A link to one of the original posts announcing this bug can be found below. If you use Gmail post a reply to this news article and tell us how it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users