Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Open Office let me remove Windows Office?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DONBEL

DONBEL

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

I don't use text documents that often but did download Open Office and I like it. But I shouldn't need both OOo and Windows, should I? I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and it came with Windows Office Powerpoint Viewer 2007. Can I just uninstall that program?

I LIKE being able to uninstall Windows stuff because--as I understand--they tend to take up a lot of space. But OOo is 374 MB and Windows is only 133 MB. The "Viewer" looks like it may be an introductory abridged version of the real thing and I suspect I don't need it. I think it's what it is--only a viewer--as I see nowhere I can compose a doc.

Can I dump it?

Thanks, as always for your generous help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

Powerpoint Viewer is independent of MS Office. It was designed for people, who don't have Office, but wanted to open Power Point presentations.
It's up to you. You can keep it just for that purpose, or use OO to open pps files.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users