Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Astr0b0y

Astr0b0y

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

Hi, my problems started a few weeks back on my Asus X5DIJ Netbook.

First of I got the dreaded BSOD

Attached File  BSOD.jpg   126.51KB   2 downloads

I kind of half fixed this using CCleaners registry cleaner tool, Malwarebytes & Windows Live Security Essentials.

I have tried to run Combo fix but upon installation it gets so far then I get the BSOD.

I am now plagued with redirects on Google, which Malwarebytes blocks, but I keep seeing the reports that attempts have been blocked by Malwarebytes.

I have run Defogger & DDS as per this post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic379764.html/page__hl__google+redirects and also tried to run RKUnHooker but get an Error

Error loading driver, NTSTATUS code 0xC000036B

I have attached the logs from DDS

Attached Files

Edited by Astr0b0y, 22 February 2011 - 03:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Astr0b0y

Astr0b0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

Hi, I'm here :thumbup2:

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

Can you run TDSSKiller?

• Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.

• Extract its contents to your desktop and make sure TDSSKiller.exe (the contents of the zipped file) is on the Desktop itself, not within a folder on the desktop.

• Go to Start > Run (Or you can hold down your Windows key and press R) and copy and paste the following into the text field. (make sure you include the quote marks) Then press OK.

"%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l report.txt

• Now click Start Scan.
  • If Malicious objects are found, ensure Cure is selected then click Continue > Reboot now.
  • Click Close
  • Finally press Report and copy and paste the contents into your next reply. If you've rebooted then the log will be found at C:\

Posted Image

#5 Astr0b0y

Astr0b0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:14 AM

Hi Mole firstly thanks for taking the time to help, I have run TDSSKiller and have attached the report to the post.

Attached Files

Edited by Astr0b0y, 05 March 2011 - 05:14 AM.

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:45 AM

That has removed the TDSS rootkit, please next run Combofix and see if anything else is still present

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop making sure you rename it comfix.exe
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications including Firewalls, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Double click on Comfix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
Posted Image

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hi,

I have not had a reply from you for 3 days. Can you please tell me if you still need help with your computer as I am unable to help other members with their problems while I have your topic still open. The time taken between posts can also change the situation with your PC making it more difficult to help you.

If you like you can PM me.

Thanks,

m0le
Posted Image

#8 Astr0b0y

Astr0b0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hi Mole, apologies for the late reply I have been away on business,I am just about to run ComboFix and will reply shortly with my log.

#9 Astr0b0y

Astr0b0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

All finished, I've attached my log file :thumbsup:

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   22.97KB   1 downloads

Edited by Astr0b0y, 09 March 2011 - 12:33 PM.

#10 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

You have a Vundo file infector which Combofix should be able to shift. Please rerun the program as shown below

1. Close any open browsers.

2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

3. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the box below into it:

RenV::
c:\program files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Hotkey\HControlUser .exe
c:\program files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Media\DMedia .exe
c:\program files (x86)\ASUS\ATKOSD2\ATKOSD2 .exe
c:\program files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS5ServiceManager\CS5ServiceManager .exe
c:\program files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper .exe
c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor .exe
c:\program files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask .exe

Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as Comfix.exe (called ComboFix.exe in the below graphic)

Posted Image

Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe

If the program requests for you to update Combofix then click Yes.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt which I will require in your next reply.
Posted Image

#11 Astr0b0y

Astr0b0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Mole done that, log file attached.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   36.67KB   1 downloads

#12 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

Mostly success but there is one remaining infected file

c:\program files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper .exe

This means that you must reinstall iTunes to remove the infected file. If you do not do this the infection will spread again, if you no longer use the program then uninstalling it is also fine.

When that has been done please run ESET

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

You still there?
Posted Image

#14 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users