Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 liquidskyy

liquidskyy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

I was just curious what would be the possible issues to look for having run Combofix when no one instructed me to do so? I have been working with computers a very long time and had one part of an infection I could not fix. A google redirect. I tried everything I knew. Having read about the same type of problem and fixes, I decided that it seemed to be my missing key. Well, it's been 2 days and I've clicked on every link google brings up in the search results and haven't redirected once. I assume it worked. What repercussions should I be wary of having done this on my own? I am a number one go-to-tech for a lot of people I know, so I've had lots of experience cleaning up people's mistakes. I'm just curious! Thank you for your assistance!

~ Jeni

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

sUBs, the developer of ComboFix, has asked that the tool not be discussed in public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. Please read the ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here thread, especially the following section.

:step1: Questions about ComboFix and how it works:

Safeguarding ComboFix from malware writers is necessary and important so that we can continue to use it without attackers having knowledge how to defeat it. Everything we discuss can be read by the bad guys. Yes, they read these threads looking for clues on how to circumvent our tools. We don't want to provide any information they can use against us. That's the decision by the creator of ComboFix and we need to abide by that decision so it should not be taken personal.

If you are still having issues with malware, we can assist with that.

Edited by quietman7, 22 February 2011 - 03:51 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 liquidskyy

liquidskyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

Gotcha! Thanks for a reply! Let's hope I didn't kill my fiance's computer with it! LoL!
Thank you

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

Not a problem.

If you had encounter problems they would have be evident by now and we would try to help with that.

#5 liquidskyy

liquidskyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

If I may ask, would running it have made me unable to access my bank's website (this is the only thing I've found so far not working right) from Firefox but it works in IE? I am puzzled and this is a new problem. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

Nothing that I'm aware of would cause an issue with one particular website. It's possible to loose access to your Internet connection after use but a reboot usually restores it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users