Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intranet Document Linking - Without an "Open" Prompt?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:17 PM

<a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="window.open('file:///W:/directory/directory/spreadsheet.xls','welcome','width=1000,height=700,toolbar=1,resizable=1,scrollbars=1,location=1,menubar=1,status=1,left=300')">Spreadsheet here!</a>

This will open a new browser window (good), but prompts for open/cancel/save when the browser window opens (bad). This is useable by people with IE, but it seems to stymie safari and firefox for some of our users, who just get a blank window and no open prompt.

We're trying to make this, and other, files manageable from our intranet for everyone, but I'm not finding the right options to do it with.

Can someone please point me to the right code?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

What is it that you are expecting that to do? Are you expecting to be able to edit a spreadsheet in your browser?

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

That would be the ideal solution. I've seen it done before, but that was in another lifetime, so I never saw the code on how to make it work.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

Umm, I'm not sure how that could be done without some sort of a custom plugin. Browsers are not designed to handle excel files, especially since excel files can contain scripts, which would present a security issue.

Could you get away with using something like Google Docs? The only other option I can think of would be a Sharepoint server.

#5 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

No google docs. The drive we're referencing is in-house, as well as the intranet. There's not a security risk with this particular file. I don't think we have a sharepoint server.

Let me look around and I'll see if I can dig something else up. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users