Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware and Printers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mkuzio

mkuzio

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

I recently had a malware removed effectively by a Shaw Expert Tech team member. Unfortunately the virus has left my Canon MX700 printer as not be recognized by my VISTA operating Dell Inspiron 53OS computer. The window USB ports are working and so is the printer. They just do not work together. I assume there has been an effect on the printer's firmware. Since the computer will not recognize the printer I can not even try to upgrade the firmware. Two Questions. Is it safe to connect the printer to a different computer if the printer firmware has been corrupted? Is there any way to reinstall the firmware using my computer or another computer? Would there be an advantage to trying this with the printer hooked up to an Apple computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

I'd first suggest you go to device manager and uninstall the device. Make sure that you leave the box that says "also delete this driver" checked so that if the driver was corrupted, Windows doesn't hold on to it. Windows has a tendency to do that. Then go to the cannon site and redownload the driver and reinstall it. It will ask you to reboot, so please do so. after that, go back to device manager and make sure that you once again see your printer listed there. Then run a test page and see if things are recognized again. They should be if all goes well.

Good luck,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

Sounds more to me like file corruption as Chromebuster is alluding to.
I have never heard of an istance of malware affecting the firmware on any device

Uninstall & reinstall the drivers but do so with the USB cable unplugged from either the back of the printer or computer (whichever is easier to get to).

Dont plug the USB cable back in until the software prompts you to.

Keep us posted
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users