Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound on laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tate01

tate01

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

Got some viruses

computer crashed
ran malwarebytes,cleared viruses,everything runs okay but speakers internal no sound at all
went to device manager says that it is working properly, sound test nothing comes out
tried restoring original audio drivers (not sure done correctly)still no sound
checked for updated devices,says its updated
do I need to restore system to an earlier date? greatly appreciate any tips ,help this has drove me crazy speakers worked fine before viruses
My system info is:
Presario C500
Hewlett Packcard Windows Vista 32bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

MalwareBytes is not an anti virus utility. You may very well still be infected if indeed you had viruses on your system.

#3 tate01

tate01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

thanks Alan , I am now also using Microsoft security essentials I believe I am clear of viruses, could someone help me restore system to earlier date it will not give me the option to restore to say Jan ,it just says enter description when I try to create a restore point manually

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

Using system restore should not effect sound. I know this sounds silly but you'd be surprised how often it's the case - make sure you don't have sound muted.

Go to Control Panel - Sound - check all settings there. Make sure the speakers are connected properly and, if they are powered, are plugged in.

#5 tate01

tate01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

have done that as well,mute, I mention system restore because someone said maybe restoring system to a time when speakers worked before I became infected would work??Just looking for any help or ideas

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

I understood why you wanted to use system restore - I simply don't think it will help. But feel free if you like - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/system-restore-vista.htm

You said you're not sure you reinstalled the sound driver correctly. Go to the website of your sound card manufacturer, download the latest driver, and install it.

#7 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

it could be the virus has removed volume control, is tht still present, cause tht sometimes can stop the sound from my personal experience. Im no expert but I like to give my input. hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users