Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DONT GET SUCKERED BY FACEBOOKS "SECURE" ACCOUNT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:10 AM

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-18/tech/facebook.phone.privacy_1_facebook-news-feed-app?_s=PM:TECH

After agreeing to use https to secure my account they secured it allright, now i can't log on. I am in an endless loop of resetting password, veryifying captcha, checking mail account for code they send me and entering that and then they INSIST i change every other email password i have and won't let you leave the page unless you do so now I am locked out of my account that just sucks

AND THEN YOU CAN WATCH THE VIDEO OF THE GUY IN SECURITY SAYING HOW GREAT IT IS BUT YOU CAN'T LEAVE HIM A MESSSAGE BECAUSE YOU ARE LOCKED OUT

I stupidly signed up with facebook tonight for a https secure account and ever since I've been locked in an endless loop of going to my email getting "codes" they send me, entering them, changing my password, being forced to swear i have changed all my other email passwords too and then after i do all that i still can't log on, it just starts over again.

and after google decided my acct wasn't secure yesterday they locked my email acct and i am plenty ticked because there is no way to get ahold of anyone.

you call customer service and get a recording that says sorry we don't have customer service

same thing if you send them an email it says "sorry this is not an attended email so you wasted your time - go to help forum where you can't enter anything because YOUR PASSWORD DOESN'T WORK

THANKS FOR LETTING ME RANT UNTIL I CAN PERSONALLY GIVE THEM A MESSAGE

OH AND BTW GOOGLE / GMAIL DID VIRTUALLY THE SAME THING TWO DAYS AGO

NO I'M NOT LYING - YES IT SEEMS BIZARRE TO HAVE THAT HAPPEN 2 DAYS IN A ROW BUT JUST TRUST ME

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

A more appropriate topic title woulda been....

DONT GET SUCKERED BY FACEBOOK

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

Internet stuff gets hacked, thats life. Not facebooks fault or googles-its whatever moron doin the hackins fault, no sense yellin at the victim.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:06 AM

Internet stuff gets hacked, thats life. Not facebooks fault or googles-its whatever moron doin the hackins fault, no sense yellin at the victim.

Nothing has been hacked.

My account was fine, it wasn't until I agreed to their stupid security thing which required that I change my password that I got stuck in the endless change password/verify/get code from my email/login, says okay and then starts over again.

the fact that I had to change my password 5 times and it was not good enough to satisfy facebook plus their INSISTENCE I change all my passwords on my other mail is NONE OF THEIR DAMN BUSINESS. Its one thing to tell me I have to change theirs 5 times in 15 minutes, but to insist I change all my other ones is abuse and as you can see by the links its not just me they are trying to get private info out of.

If they were interested in my security they would quit changing security settings to be open to everyone unless I change it.

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:08 AM

A more appropriate topic title woulda been....

DONT GET SUCKERED BY FACEBOOK

You're probably/almost certainly 100 percent right there.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:18 AM

never had facebook require me to change my password that many times, not alone my other passwords, Im not convinced there wasnt a 3rd party in there somewhere.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:03 AM

Internet stuff gets hacked, thats life.....no sense yellin at the victim.

Huh? Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 24 February 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#8 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:18 AM

Well, here is all the proof I need, my intuitions are are exactly right. I signed up for a sham account with Facebook. Odd isn't it that these things happened within two days.

Well, when I signed up for my new facebook account I found changes.

For my "new" account UNLESS I give them either my credit card number or my cell phone number I have limited access to "stuff" on there, which, imo, proves my point, the both of them are on an information mining adventure and that is what this whole thing comes down to. :lmao:

They are getting too big for their britches.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

I created a new Facebook account after I read your latest post.

I went to http.//www.facebook.com, filled out the 7 fields on the page, clicked sign up, and that was it.

At no time was I asked for a credit card number or cell phone number.

Since you were asked for this info, it's possible your system is infected. You need to find out for sure whether it is or is not infected.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

I went to http.//www.facebook.com, filled out the 7 fields on the page, clicked sign up, and that was it.

Since you were asked for this info, it's possible your system is infected. You need to find out for sure whether it is or is not infected.

+1

The multiple problems you are experiencing indicate your system is likely compromised. You need to advise your helper m0le in this topic of these experiences.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

I agree with that. I don't bother with the HTTPS account over on facebook but I do know that my friend from college's account got hacked last week I believe, because someone logged into it from Kansas or somewhere like that. And this was after a reformat and reinstall, so I don't know what happened to her. `

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#12 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:32 PM

If I said that I was asked for a credit account to sign up, then I wasn't clear.

I was advised, after I went to Facebook's own page on Facebook to make a notation that my other account had been closed and to inquire why, it was at that time trying to post on their page that I was advised that without my cell phone number or credit card number, that I wasn't eligible to post on that page. So in essence, my voice was stifled because I would not divulge private information.

I don't think that has anything to do with my account computer being messed up, although I agree it is.

For further info, I had a similar coincidental problem with my Google/Gmail account and I have since been contacted by google and gotten my account restored WITHOUT ANY CELL PHONE or credit card being involved.

Everyone is too quick to let Facebook off the hook here. My account is stolen, in essence, with no way to contact anyone.

Just so you know, I think Facebook has potential. For myself, my son and I were reunited with his son/my grandson due to Facebook so its not without merit.

But the fact is their system is broken or I would not have been forced to change my password 7 times in 15 minutes. And IF it were so secure it would not have let me change my password back to the same one it used to be and change it to that every other time I changed it.

They are making it impossible for me unless I 'cave' to their extortion.

I get confused about a lot of stuff, but I know intimidation when I see it and I call it like it is.

Google worked with me, Facebook is not. Facebook is always 'upgrading' their privacy options which always DEFAULT to everything being open to everyone. I usually see a notice on some 3rd party site saying you better check your facebook privacy and sure enough, they have opened it to "everyone" when I had it set to friends only.

#13 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

+1

The multiple problems you are experiencing indicate your system is likely compromised. You need to advise your helper m0le in this topic of these experiences.

There are circumstances which explain what happened with Google/Gmail and with Facebook. Google/gmail was because I was setting up a new blog on blogger and making repeated changes to it over and over till I got it just right.

I was able to get through, finally to Google and they apologized and my account set straight. From what I can tell, my numerous changes on blogger in addition to my logging into my gmail account allerted them to the possibility of "suspicious activity". I get that and understand. Google didn't tell me that, I have just put two and two together with what was going on at the time it got locked.

The problem with facebook was because I had deleted my cookies and so everytime I signed on they saw me as a new computer. Everytime I did that it would ask me to NAME this new computer which i would name laptop. So they sent me an email saying "if this was you nevermind but if not". This had been going on for days. Finally, I got one of those emails and apparently inadvertently hit the link for the OTHERWISE scenario, which I should have been able to set straight but since then I have been in an endless loop of verifying captcha getting code from my email, changing password, etc. and it is because I refuse to be ordered by Facebook to take their word for it that I need to change every other email account I have, which is many due to the fact I have different emails for different things, I am not going to get on and I am not going to be forced into changing all my passwords just to satisfy facebook..

my other email accounts have nothing to do with facebook. I have them set to not "share" information but at one time they became aware I have these other emails and now are taking control of my facebook account and these other emails to do it their way.

I discontinued long ago along information to be shared between those emails and facebook because of this very type of problem. I don' t like lots of loose ends ways for people to get into my private things and so I disassociated my other email accounts when I saw how it was going. Facebook however, a year later, still remembers those email addresses and has chose to FORCE ME to change the passwords in accounts that have nothing to do with them.

if I ever get my account open, I'm taking my stuff off and facebook is history.

Edited by kcsummer, 26 February 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#14 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:53 AM

http://www.allfacebook.com/verify-facebook-account-2010-09

This will give you some insight if you want that explains it officially, not just my word.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=125957330783122

Edited by kcsummer, 27 February 2011 - 06:01 AM.

#15 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:16 AM

Oh, wow, now I just got locked out of my new account unless I give them my mobile number for a message. I was mailing a friend I have there telling him what happened but when I tried to send the message it said LOG IN. I was logged in already. So I logged in and when I pushed send for the message it said VERIFY YOUR ACCOUNT. So, there goes that.

This Facebook thing is so wrong and if I ever manage somehow to get my pictures off, they will have seen the last of me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users