Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless: iphone - yes, W7 - no

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wee Willy

Wee Willy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:06 AM

Hi -
I just got a new Dell laptop. I connected it via ethernet to our home LAN. I had the idea that it was 'safer' than wireless until I got security software purchased. Before I did I needed to visit my parents in another town, so I took the Dell with me to finish up. I also just got an iphone (3GS). One day while 'exploring' a dialog came up saying that a wireless connection was available did I want to connect? I did, and it did. Now I can connect to the web! Later, I decided that I wanted to connect the laptop, also. Problem is, it doesn't seem to be able to see the network to which the iphone is connected (& continues to communicate on - I checked). I thought I could connect the laptop manually by typing the IP address, subnet mask, router addr, the DNS, the ISP, or whatever was needed to get the laptop to connect. I haven't been able to find a way to do that.

So far, what I have attempted is: control panel>network and internet>network and sharing center - connect to a network
A little window pops up in bottom right corner of screen saying, "Not connected. No connections are available". But I know there is, cause my iphone is connected to it and I can see the data (IP address, subnet mask, router addr, the DNS, the ISP, etc.) associated with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:26 AM

Food for thought.

If you were to connect to this unknown network you would be in affect breaking the law. It is called "piggy backing". = using someone else`s purchased bandwidth\product without their knowledge or consent.

Not knowing the source of this network is also potentially putting your PC, data at risk.

#3 Wee Willy

Wee Willy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

ThunderZ -

I knew it wasn't a good idea, but not that it was illegal. Thanks for saying something. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the problem rears it's ugly head some other time, when I have the necessary permissions.

Thanks again.
Wee Willy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users