Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with missing files and folders?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Thell

Thell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:50 AM

My computer started acting weird just today. I was looking through my C drive and while I was looking I made hidden folders and files visible. I started making everything visible, but canceled the action partway through and opted to un-hide items in just one folder. (I think the location was C:/Users/HP-Probook [the last of which I think is just a username].) While looking through there, I found some MSN history that I proceeded to delete, and upon exiting the folder, I found that most of my folders on my desktop were gone. Once I saw that, I ran System Restore, which upon finishing said it had encountered an error (the specifics of which I can't recall, unfortunately.) This brought almost all of my files back, but left me with a few pretty big problems.

The problems I'm referring to are
1. A folder on my desktop labeled 'Artwork' isn't visible. My computer says it's still there and I can get to it through a simple start menu search, but when I access it that way there doesn't seem to be anything in it. No folders, no PNGs, nothing. Also, a lot of files from my desktop's Audio folder are gone.
2. I can't change my desktop background anymore. I can open the window that normally would me change it, but it does nothing, and right-clicking a file in Windows Photo Gallery just brings up an error message that reads: "This image can't be set as wallpaper. An internal error occurred."

I ran Norton's virus scan to see if that would help, but nothing's changed. I haven't run into any problems with any other programs, and nothing else seems to be missing. Firefox and Windows Messenger work more or less like they did before.

I'm not very wise about computers (as you can probably tell,) so if there's more info I should give, by all means let me know. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me a hand.

EDIT: Never mind, the problem was resolved. If someone could lock/delete this topic that'd be great.

Edited by Thell, 22 February 2011 - 06:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users