Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix and SSDs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GWT1

GWT1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:40 AM

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I have a Dell Mobile Precision M4500 and was wondering if ComboFix can be used on Windows 7 Professional 64bit located on a Samsung PM800 64GB SSD. I also have a 500GB Toshiba HDD built in as a storage drive. Both are non-RAID.

Does ComboFix work if the OS drive is an SSD? Any issues unique to using ComboFix on SSDs?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CStew23

CStew23

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:58 AM

Hi GWT1,

Welcome to BleepingComputer!

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (i.e. Malware Response Team) who is assisting a member deal a malware issue on that system. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

Further, using ComboFix is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, RSIT and GMER should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning an strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is necessary. ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for viruses. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

sUBs, the developer of ComboFix has asked that the tool not be discussed outside the private forums to protect the efficacy of the tool so, therefore things like what you ask can not be discussed.

Edited by CStew23, 22 February 2011 - 01:59 AM.

Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!
If you have not heard from me in 48 hours please use this and send me a PM reminder.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:47 AM

The only public information that is available can be found in this authorized guide: How to use ComboFix

If you want to learn more about ComboFix you will have to enroll in the Malware Removal Training Program here at BC (if space is available) or one of the other various Unite Schools where such training is offered. In that environment experts will train those interested in assisting others with malware removal and how to use specialized fix tools like ComboFix.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 GWT1

GWT1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

Well I was asking a general question as to whether I can use it on SSDs or not. I appreciate the polite response but at the same time I find it ridiculous that I should have to wait to be infected before I can get any feedback to a question in general.

I've used it before and generally have had no issues and if something happens to my machine, then the burden's on me and my actions. I'm the one who's responsible for what happens to my machine. Not the program or the developers. That's also why I initially didn't post this in the security forum to begin with. But that's a side issue.

Edited by GWT1, 22 February 2011 - 06:39 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

CF has been tested on WIN 2000/XP/Vista/Win 7 (32-bit, 64-bit). The developer works alone and does not have a lab where he can test his tool on all available hardware configurations. It took a long time for him to get his tool ready for Windows 7 and even longer for 64-bit OS. sUBs makes his announcements for OS compatibility in private forums and as far as I know he doesn't provide specific hardware testing results. I myself only have one computer and since I'm not a hardware expert I couldn't tell you if there would be any issues.

If one of our other experts uses a similar configuration as you, its possible they may read your topic and provide some feedback.

#6 GWT1

GWT1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

I appreciate the reply and thanks. I hope the author of this powerful program takes that into account when he goes into the next stage of development. Especially considering the read/write lifespan of SSDs themselves, as they become more mainstream.

It sounds like I was the first one to ask about this and I may not be the last.

Respectfully,
GWT1

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

You're welcome.

#8 GWT1

GWT1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

Well it's been a year and a half since I've brought up this topic and I was wondering if there has been any change in relation to using ComboFix on an SSD drive.

Typically Restore Points are turned off in SSDs and I remember ComboFix creating one in the past on another machine when I had to use it.

Any new news? Has the developer tried it? A search here turned up nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users