Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Quake in New Zealand today

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

Christchurch was badly affected by a massive quake last September but it happened when most people were in bed.

Today, another quake hit the city at lunchtime causing buildings to collapse and trapping many people in their offices.

Now, 6 hours later, 65 deaths have been confirmed but this is expected to rise sharply.

http://www.theaustra...6-1226010072224

http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/3NewsLiveStream/ChristchurchEarthquake/tabid/876/Default.aspx

A bad business and the whole country is in shock.

Rob

Edited by rowal5555, 22 February 2011 - 01:15 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

Knowing first hand what a major earthquake can do, my thoughts a well wishes go out to our comrades in this Mother Nature ravaged region.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:50 AM

Updated -
Between 70 and 80 confirmed killed now - Estimated from 50 to 100 still trapped in buildings -
Rescue is still underway , but many of the main buildings cannot be accessed due to dangerous conditions -
The estimate has been made that 150 + will be the total loss after all rescues are completed and the search turns to recovery only -
A big shock to all Aussies as well , after we lost many in recent deadly flash flooding -
Thoughts go out to all involved -

The current death toll has now been revised up to 100 , with another still 200 missing -
Such a waste -------

Edited by noknojon, 24 February 2011 - 05:50 AM.

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

The International response has been terrific and on behalf of all Kiwis, I thank you.

An international English Language School of about 100 students was in one of the collapsed and burned buildings, and many visitors in the collapsed icon, the Christchurch Cathedral, so this is a world event.

While we still hope for miracle rescues, it is now looking more like a recovery mission.

The US has sent about 1000 PortaLoos as thousands of ordinary people are without water or sewerage but a lot of power has been restored now.

Aussie Search and Rescue teams were on site in about 24 hours and several other countries have done the same.

It will be a long time before some semblance of normalcy returns to Christchurch.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 fern1

fern1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

It's a real tragedy for the people of Christchurch and their beautiful heritage buildings. While it was a very sombre moment, it was great to see so many observing the 2 minutes silence at 9 minutes to 1 this pm.

#6 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

It makes me sad to see all these natural disasters happening left and right, and I could only wonder what it means. I hope whoever's still alive can be rescued safely.

Beautiful avatar by Plumbeck!

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

#7 fern1

fern1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

It's a very slim chance that there will be anymore survivors.

#8 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:12 PM

We;;, let's just pray that there are. It wouldn't hurt. :chef:

Beautiful avatar by Plumbeck!

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users