Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applications server role versus Web Server role (IIS) in Windows server 2008 R2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:06 AM

Hi all,
I'm just curious. I've been looking at all of the possible roles in Windows Server 2008 R2 to figure out which ones I plan on being certified in eventually. What is the difference between the Application Server role and the Web server role (IIS), besides the obvious that IIS is specifically for Web applications? It seems that both roles can serve the same types of stuff. please clarify. Thanks for any explanations!

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

The application server role allows server hosted software (usually custom designed by/for a particular company) which can be accessed by remote computers. Web server or IIS only supports web page based coding and software(ie, perl, java, html, ect)

As far as certification goes unless Microsoft has changed something recently you cannot pick a server role to be certified in. The certification would be for various aspects of the operating system like "managing and maintaining server 2008" or managing and maintaining server 2008 infrastructure" so forth and so on. In almost all of these you will need to know specific information about all of the different server roles as it pertains to the subject matter to pass the exam. A compete list of the different certifications and a list of their exams can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

That's very interesting. The only odd thing though, is that both IIS 7 and the Applications server role are able to handle WCF applications. I'll definitely look into the certification thing considering I'd like to work in that field someday. My goal is to be the one who monitors servers and makes the administrative decisions. How many certifications would I have to have to reach that goal? I also want to be certified specifically in SQL server and possibly Exchange as well so that opportunities don't run out.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

All good certification choices for Microsoft. The admin cert would be MCITP: Server Administrator
. Exchange is supposedly a very difficult certification...I will let you know as it is next up after I finish my SBS 2008 certification.
Mark Twain

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

And did I tell you that I also want development experience on top of this? Maybe not certified, but I'm definitely going to take classes on that. I'm just curious though, how many certs do you have in the server world of Windows? I ask because I was warned that if I focus all of my energy with Microsoft, then I'll "be sheltered all my life". But if that's true, is that a bad thing? And interestingly enough, I didn't find a certification regarding IIS. Is that specific? Or is it implied with another one?

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

Developement in what area? Programming? Networks? MCSE is the Microsoft route to go for developing networks based on Microsoft OS's. Me personally I have certs in windows 2000 pro, windows 2000 server, and windows 2003 server. I also hold certs in CompTia A+ and Net+. Working on finishing 2003 MCSE so I can do the upgrade exam and have three 2008 MCTS certs. I have been sidetracked because a client of mine wants to implement a SBS 2008 setup so I am working on that and Exchange 2007 before I get back to the server certs. As far as "being sheltered" it is partially true since if you intend to do this for a living most companies end up running a hodgepodge of OS's and network hardware. I find a combination of Microsoft certs, Cisco certs, and some working knowledge of a linux variant is a valuable combination. Is it a bad thing?? Not really since 90% of the compuer market is running Microsoft software there is always room for another dedicated techie. As far as the whole IIS thing goes I doubt you will ever see a dedicated certification related to it because managing and maintaining that portion of the server os usually falls to the System Administrator. There is however dedicated training to better educate admins on the ins and outs of IIS that is over and above what the MCITP: Server Administrator exam covers.
Mark Twain

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

Well, that's very good information. Thanks. And I didn't know servers were made by Cysco. When I say development, I mean just various bits of the .net framework with C# and T-SQL being the languages I become fluent in. I'm trying to learn C# a bit on my own, and I think it's fun. I may not get that cert, but I am definitely going to take some online classes for both C# and ASP.net. I'll learn PHP if I have to, but again, that's only if they really, really need me. I also think that my server that is coming in approximately a week and a half will help to in the preparation, managing a server for my stuff will help me to transfer over to a corporate environment considering I'll already be tinkering with that stuff at home to do my setup for my stuff. My eventual goal is for me and my little network of techies to have a bunch of stuff going on that, for instance, us transferring from a CMS based solution for our web site to something designed custom by us, and then a few other things, all because computers make up 50 percent of my life. I simply enjoy computers, so some of it's not always going to be about taking the exam for a living opportunity.
For instance, I also think that Dell certs would be interesting. Will I absolutely need them, probably not, but wanting them is a different story. I think that being blind has something to do with it too as I don't do any sports or anything like that, so the computer is the place where I find that I can express myself, I can create, and I can rule in a sense. Then I find that another benefit in taking all this education in computers will help , for when I'm not using computers for a living, I can help online communities and help develop in some of the open source projects and feel great doing it for free.

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:32 AM

Cisco only does routing, switching, VOIP and the like not servers. The reason I lump them in there is because many of the mid size or larger business use Cisco equipment. Since all of the really good Cisco equipment is managed you would need to learn how to configure them and that means learing IOS which is Cisco's proprietary OS.

As far as the rest goes I totally agree. It isn't always about the certification I just love computers and I love to learn new things. That is how I have ended up with an entire bookshelf of computer related books!! I am in the middle of learning java right now. I have thought about the Dell thing to for various reasons. I might do it in the future but it isn't high on my list.

If I can make a suggestion, based on my experience of not being able to do one thing at a time, pick a path now of what you want to certify in and in what order that you want to do it in. It is so much easier to start on say the MCITP exam and keep studying and taking exams till you have completed all of the exams to obtain the certification you want before you move on to the next one. Once you step away you lose little important tidbits that make it easier to complete the following exams so grind through it and then take a break or Start on a new one once you have completed that certification.
Mark Twain

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

Here is a site you may be interested in. It has some good articles on learning about server 2008.

http://www.petri.co.il/windows-server-2008.htm
Mark Twain

#10 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm going to go for the MCITP first I think, and I'd like to get started as early as this summer, but I'm not sure how that can work with this internship I'm doing for the Mass Commission for the Blind, for I don't know how many days a week my employer's going to want me working. I have to get 120 hours of interning in, but it's not always dictated by me, so I don't know how it'd work. My mom first suggested that I wait till I leave college or in my last semester begin my certification, but now realizing that it takes a long time, I told her that I feel otherwise and she agreed with me. This dude from Dell though believes that with my level of pure enthusiasm that my cert process will go much faster and it will be easier since I'm always tinkering around with stuff.

#11 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the site! That's fantastic. I just registered for their message board as well. If you type in my display name into Google or Bing, you'll find me everywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users