Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Win 7 in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kirkinak

Kirkinak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

I am running Win 7 64 bit and would like to start in Safe Mode to run a security scan. The problem :) My keyboard is bluetooth so there is no way I can restart and push F8 and get an option for Safe Mode prior to Windows starting up in normal mode. I understand this can be done from the command prompt and am willing to try but I am not really an advanced user. Any ideas????? Thanx

Worked like a charm. Yes, MalwareBytes and Security Essentials. Thanks again. Please excuse, I don't know how to reply only to you.

Edited by Kirkinak, 22 February 2011 - 08:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

How to Start Windows 7 in Safe Mode Through System Configuration (msconfig)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/69585-safe-mode.html

(Method Two in the tutorial)

This will set Windows 7 to start into Safe Mode until you set it back to the normal boot mode in step 2 of the tutorial.

Hope this helps, let us know.:busy:

Edit to add:

would like to start in Safe Mode to run a security scan

Hope you're not planning to run that scan with your Anti-Virus prog, it won't run in safe mode. :whistle:

MalwareBytes, perhaps??

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 February 2011 - 12:03 AM.

#3 Sector17

Sector17

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the tip on BCDEdit, that is a good one!

To the OP - I always keep a spare corded keyboard/mouse in the closet JUST IN CASE. :thumbup2:

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

@ Sector 17 U're welcome. 7 forums tutorials is a TREASURE TROVE of useful info/tips.Posted Image

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

Worked like a charm. Yes, MalwareBytes and Security Essentials. Thanks again. Please excuse, I don't know how to reply only to you.

Posted Image Thanks for posting back & letting us know. I wasn't aware that Microsoft Security Essentials could be run in Safe Mode, also running MBAM in safe mode is not as thorough as running in normal. Is there a particular reason why you "needed" to run these scans in safe-mode? If you're unsure as whether you have any Malware present on your system, start a topic in Am I Infected? forum after reading this topic and following the instructions.

You can just click the add reply button, or if you really need to address a specific member's post you can just click the "quote" button after that specific post, or you can just do something like this:

@Kirkinak: You're welcome, glad I could help!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users