Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SOMETIMES BROWSERS WONT OPEN EVEN WHEN I HAVE INTERNET CONNECTION

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SuesAcct

SuesAcct

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Hello everyone,
For the past three days, I have had a problem with my PC.
It will show I have internet connection, however, no matter what browser I use, whether Firefox, IE or AOL, they will say no internet connection. I decided to disable my Windows Firewall, and even tho it still does it, sometimes I'm able to get online. When I cant get online, I have to reboot my PC and then I'm able to access internet and all works out but then will just freak out and not work. Now, yesterday, I also had problems with my 1394 bus IEEE driver, but was able to fix that and I'm not even sure what happened to begin with it. Today, I decided to remove AOL, I cant stand it anymore anyways. I also downloaded "Advanced system care" and did a full system scan, and it said it fixed a TON of stuff. I also did a full virus scan and also a complete boot scan, where I saw that my Java had some corrupted files and also another program, and I did a malware/spyware scan and with everything, there were no virus' and no maleware/spyware at all. Thank God! However, I still haven't been able to pinpoint why its just losing connection and I just cant seem to find any help. My drivers for my modem are up to date as well. I usually just use my Firefox and what will happen is that I'm online, and when I click a tab to open up a new window, it will just say loading...continuously and then it will say theres no internet connection. Does anyone have any ideas as to other things I should check? This is one problem I've never had to fix or have heard of anyone with it, so I'm lost here. Also, one more thing, my internet has a ethernet plug in the back where my cable plugs into it, the cable runs up stairs into the landlords router. Several times, I went up there to turn it off and on again, thinking it might be on his end, but my PC will say I have internet and yet, it didnt load up the web pages. ?????? I thought maybe his router was going, and that still could be the case. Not sure.
I have windows XP home edition. 512 MB ram, plenty of hard drive space. This is a Gateway PC and its about 7 years old now. It sure needs some updating I know, but so far, its dont the job. Also, so far up till now, since I've downloaded the Advanced system care program, and run it, I've been able to access the internet, but I'm not sure what tomorrow will hold. So, any ideas would be greatly welcomed.
If you have any further questions, please ask and I'll do my best to answer. I'm not the best at knowing PC stuff, but I try. :)
Thank you very much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

Hi SuesAcct -

I also downloaded "Advanced system care" and did a full system scan, and it said it fixed a TON of stuff.

Downloading IoBit System Care will always find TONS of problems - The program is designed to "find problems" , (even if there are not many) -
Did you have any Antivirus program installed previous to this ?? If so which program was it ??
You are usually better with free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php and Free SUPERAntiSpyware programs http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE for malware detection -
Do you do regular maintaining like defrag , clearing temp files , etc. that will help your system -
Have you got XP Service Pack 3 installed and all Microsoft updates also ??
These things will help for a start -
Next run Check disk program by opening Run Box and copy / paste this code in, close all programs and let it check your system -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
The code will reboot your computer in 30 seconds after you click OK then run a full 5 stage check/repair on the disk -
On average this takes 30 to 45 mins but can take longer if errors are found and fixed -

Thank You -

#3 SuesAcct

SuesAcct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

Hello and thank you for your response. I will try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Hi SuesAcct -

I also downloaded "Advanced system care" and did a full system scan, and it said it fixed a TON of stuff.

Downloading IoBit System Care will always find TONS of problems - The program is designed to "find problems" , (even if there are not many) -
Did you have any Antivirus program installed previous to this ?? If so which program was it ??
Yes, my antivirus program that I have had for a while is Avast. I did a full system scan and it found nothing. As for maleware software, I use Ad-aware and it found some stuff, but nothing to do what was happening.
You are usually better with free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php and Free SUPERAntiSpyware programs http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE for malware detection -
Do you do regular maintaining like defrag , clearing temp files , etc. that will help your system -
Yes, I do/did all of that. I used PConPoint up until this happened, because when I ran the maleware software, it removed some components from my pconpoint that I didn't notice, so it wouldn't run. Not sure why it thought that it was dangerous, but I should have paid more attention to what I was removing. Thats why I ended up downloading the Advanced system care and that seemed to help it a lot, things started working since then. I also have been using my driver max to update some drivers, I usually do that but they only allow you two a day, unless you pay them and thats not gonna happen. I know I could search the sites directly and find the drivers, but thats a bit too much for me these days
Have you got XP Service Pack 3 installed and all Microsoft updates also ?? Yes, I do.
These things will help for a start -
Next run Check disk program by opening Run Box and copy / paste this code in, close all programs and let it check your system -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
I know that my Avast has a boot system start up and that ran and found a few errors, but I'm not sure if they were the cause. Also, one more thing that I've found since I wrote this was a BUS driver was wrong, It called itself UNIBRAIN 1394 and since I've updated it, it all seems to work. Although now, once in a "blue moon" my pc will flicker and everything will vanish for a second and then come back on. It never did that before all of this has happened. I will do the check disk program you suggested and then get back with you. Again, thank you for your help.
The code will reboot your computer in 30 seconds after you click OK then run a full 5 stage check/repair on the disk -
On average this takes 30 to 45 mins but can take longer if errors are found and fixed -

Thank You -

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

You say that your ethernet cable runs upstairs to your landlord's router.
How far roughly?

Im curious if he is having any issues as well and if he is cabled or wireless.
Have you reseated your ethernet connection on the back of the router?
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users