Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jbmoisin

jbmoisin

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:12 PM

Hi y'all!

Im using a packard Bell Laptop with such specifications:

Windows XP Family Ed.
20 gigs of memory (8 used by packard bell restauration system)
mobile AMD Athlon XP-M 2000+
256 DDR ram
32 Mb integrated S3 ProSavageDDR

It's an old computer. The problem is, im now taking mechanical engineering in which i must use a modelling program such as solidworks and the computer can't take it anymore. It'll get pretty hot and then, just shut down by itself. To add things up, im now using a 18Mb speed internet. Downloading file will make my computer worst.

My questions are;

1. i would like to upgrade my computer by myself. So, what should i know before buying/installing the material?
2. What other hardware that i need to change to make it runs better?
3. Is it better for me to buy a desktop instead?

Thanks!
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:36 PM

Option3 would be you best choice. You could bulid a descent desktop for what an upgrade wold cost and you still would have a slow machine.
Start looking into the type of computer you need and the members will give you great advise on what would and would not work.
I hope I was not too vage.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Btw, i knew that would be the best choice, but you see, i prefer to use my laptop (For reasons of moving out/space in my house/etc..).

So, i think i'll cut out the 3rd choice. So, can you still help me in the 1st and 2nd choice? :thumbsup:
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

Your laptop dosen't have the required hardware to properly run that Solidworks program. The system requirements can be found here. Whether or not it is possiblle to upgrade that laptop to those specifications is something you will need to ask the manufacturer. The Ram upgrade should not be a problem but the video will be the big issue. None of the S3 video setups are certified to run even the 2004 version of Solidworks. You will need to find out if a more suitable video card can be installed but I don't think that is likely.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:10 PM

If option 3 is out because of space, how about option 4. A new notebook computer. Even a $600 Walmart entry level notebook would be a huge improvement over your current notebook.

#6 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:08 AM

Hmm, yeah. I think you guys are right. I'll go on buying a desktop instead. (Got to sacrifice my basketball-inside-my-house space i guess...).

Well, thanks for the advice guys. And i would like to wish merry xmas to all!

P/S: I would like to keep the laptop for other small uses. Could you give me and idea of how to keep the temperature low a bit, because the fan turns like mad but still my laptop is hot. Oh and btw, i can't reply because i will be on holiday (Yahoo!). So, please just leave the advice here. I'll check it out when im back. Thanks a lot again! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:32 AM

Try this... Laptop Cooler

Edited by acklan, 19 December 2005 - 02:32 AM.

#8 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:32 AM

You could also buy a can of air duster and clean out the inside. With fans blaring like that, there's probably a lot of dust in there that reduces the effeciency of the heat sinks.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users