Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 10.10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

so i wanna partition my hard-drive in to two 150 gb parts, one being the Windows 7 that im currently running, and the other being Ubuntu 10.10. i dont know a thing about Linux and would like some info first. just basic things like, compatibility with Office, are there a lot of virus's for Linux OS's, pros/cons, just basic stuff like that. any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

You can run LibreOffice or OpenOffice in Linux

At the present time there aren't any Linux Virus's in the wild and Linux is uneffected by Windows virus's.

Just remember that Linux is not windows and doesn't behave the same in a lot of cases - there is definitely
a learning curve.

If you haven't done so download one of the linux distro Live CD's and burn it to a cd or DVD as an ISO
then you can set up your BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD and you can try out Linux before you install it.

Running it from the CD will be slower than from an installed version - but don't let that put you off.

Ubuntu is a very good Linux Distro - I myself don't use it - I use PCLinuxOS simply because it is easy to use
and it is also a Rolling Release. Which means that updates come more frequently and is maintained for several years without a complete
reinstall

Edited by Ramchu, 21 February 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#3 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

ok thanks!

#4 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

SuperOS 10.04 is an improved ubuntu with, among other things, Wine pre-installed (forgive me, I do not know if it is in stock ubuntu). I find the former less troublesome. It will be more readily usable in many regards than stock ubuntu. Also, I would stick with the LTS (Long Term Support) versions of this distro.

Microsoft has chosen not to make itself compatible with Linux, not the other way around (just look at the precedents with WordPerfect and Netscape Navigator). One must either use Wine or purchase CrossOver to run certain versions of MS Office. For printing, there is TurboPrint, which makes it easy for most any printer.

Posted Image

Welcome to GNU/Linux!
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#5 Dutch70

Dutch70

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

so i wanna partition my hard-drive in to two 150 gb parts, one being the Windows 7 that im currently running, and the other being Ubuntu 10.10. i dont know a thing about Linux and would like some info first. just basic things like, compatibility with Office, are there a lot of virus's for Linux OS's, pros/cons, just basic stuff like that. any advice?

To add to the good advice you've already been given.

You can also run several Linux distro's from a usb stick aka flash/thumb drive. It runs faster than a live cd/dvd and you don't have to burn a cd.
With Linux, you don't have to worry about running an anti-virus or defragmenting, amongst other things.

My advice is to not have any expectations, just use the live cd/dvd or live usb to play with it until you get comfortable & make sure the distro you want is compatible with your machine.
Ubuntu 10.10 is nice, 11.04 is due to come out April 28th, but 10.04 is the LTS (long term support) distro.
PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu, Linux Mint-10/Julia are all very nice distro's.

Cons...if you consider it that.

Sharp learning curve

a lot of distro's come out with a new version every 6 months, so they can be kind of buggy, how buggy, depends on your hardware & the distro you choose.
Which is why it's important to try it via live cd or usb stick.

I started with Ubuntu 8.04, I currently quad boot Vista, Ubuntu 10.10, Linux Mint-10/Julia & Kubuntu 10.10. That's not counting the ones I have in Virtualbox...Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, openSUSE. Ultimate-Edition, Peppermint Ice...etc. LOL, I can put one on their in less than an hour, that includes 30-35 min download time.

This is well worth a read...
Linux is NOT windows

Best regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users